BYU golf: Blair ties for 13th, team ties for fourth at William H. Tucker
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – After struggling early on the BYU men’s golf team found its game, shooting a final round 11-over par to finish tied for fourth place at the William H. Tucker Intercollegiate.
Senior Zac Blair led the Cougars during the final round shooting a 74 (+2) to tie for 13th overall in the individual standings. Blair got off to a slow start bogeying three of his first five holes, but eventually found his rhythm shooting four birdies in an eight-hole span. He finished the tournament with a combined 220 (+4), helping the team finish with a 26-over-par 890 total.
“I was really proud of the guys for fighting back,” head coach Bruce Brockbank said. “I’m never going to be excited about finishing in fourth, but in this day in age where there’s so many good golf teams it was a good finish for us, considering we could have been tenth really easy if we hadn’t bounced back the last eight or nine holes.”
Senior Adam Tebbs continued his strong play from yesterday’s second round, finishing the tournament with a combined 223 (+7). Tebbs birdied three straight holes midway through the final round to go two-over-par on the day.
“It’s a good solid finish for us,” Brockbank said. “It’s a good field. If we clean up a few things and start making some more putts hopefully we’ll be in contention to win a tournament.”
West Coast Conference foe San Francisco finished in third place, four strokes better than the Cougars, while Pepperdine ended the tournament in 14th place.
The Cougars resume their fall tournament schedule on Oct. 8-9 as they travel to Dublin, Ohio, to compete in the Jack Nicklaus Invitational. Live stats of the tournament can be followed on the Golfstat website.
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Commentary: Long-term success in independence...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- 2014 NBA draft tracker: An ongoing look at...
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- High school boys basketball: Underdogs shine...
- High school sports: Thursday's prep roundup
- Illuminating: Utah Olympic gold medalist...
- BYU basketball: Cougars face No. 21 UMass in...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 57
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 52
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 46
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 43