BYU golf: Blair ties for 13th, team ties for fourth at William H. Tucker
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – After struggling early on the BYU men’s golf team found its game, shooting a final round 11-over par to finish tied for fourth place at the William H. Tucker Intercollegiate.
Senior Zac Blair led the Cougars during the final round shooting a 74 (+2) to tie for 13th overall in the individual standings. Blair got off to a slow start bogeying three of his first five holes, but eventually found his rhythm shooting four birdies in an eight-hole span. He finished the tournament with a combined 220 (+4), helping the team finish with a 26-over-par 890 total.
“I was really proud of the guys for fighting back,” head coach Bruce Brockbank said. “I’m never going to be excited about finishing in fourth, but in this day in age where there’s so many good golf teams it was a good finish for us, considering we could have been tenth really easy if we hadn’t bounced back the last eight or nine holes.”
Senior Adam Tebbs continued his strong play from yesterday’s second round, finishing the tournament with a combined 223 (+7). Tebbs birdied three straight holes midway through the final round to go two-over-par on the day.
“It’s a good solid finish for us,” Brockbank said. “It’s a good field. If we clean up a few things and start making some more putts hopefully we’ll be in contention to win a tournament.”
West Coast Conference foe San Francisco finished in third place, four strokes better than the Cougars, while Pepperdine ended the tournament in 14th place.
The Cougars resume their fall tournament schedule on Oct. 8-9 as they travel to Dublin, Ohio, to compete in the Jack Nicklaus Invitational. Live stats of the tournament can be followed on the Golfstat website.
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at email@example.com
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- BYU players work out at Pro Day in hopes of...
- Former Duke and Utah player Chris Burgess...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 101
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Jazz lose to undermanned, tired... 16