Cancer expo, survivor conference give patients tools, hope
The university is one of 60 institutions in the country and the only one in Utah that receives funding to generate awareness about cancer-related trials. Gabler said the state's "altruistic population" helps.
"The only way we make medical advances is through research," she said. "It is hugely important, but it takes time to get results."
"It would be nice to find a cure for cancer within a lifetime," Gabler said.
In addition to education and research involvement, members of the community also touted wig sales, family support services, medical advances and techniques of alternative medicine at the exhibition Saturday.
It is meant to "bring cancer survivors, their families and the community together for something that is educational and uplifting," said Michelle Marthia, UCAN spokeswoman and a breast cancer survivor.
"There's nothing we can do about the fact that we've got cancer," said Tara Steele, Siporin's wife. "What we can do is change the way we react to it."
The couple wrote an obituary and held a wake for the first portion of Siporin's liver that was removed following his stage 4 cancer diagnosis. Their two kids have dressed up like tumors for Halloween and the stories could go on forever. It was all part of making the journey memorable for the good that is sometimes hard to find when dealing with a cancer diagnosis, Steele said.
"None of us are guaranteed tomorrow, we have to enjoy every moment we get," she said.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- About Utah: For 95-year-old, the secret to...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to same-sex...
- Third person arrested in Carbon County...
- Utah families share tragic stories of teens...
- Preliminary hearing set for Utah mom accused...
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Federal government extends same-sex... 30
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 14