Breaking the cycle: Children of poverty become adults in poverty
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Sophie Toese hoped that things would change when she had a girl with the father of three of her four children.
"That's his first daughter," she said, gesturing to one-week-old Harmony, who was asleep on a bunk bed in the Road Home. "I thought having a girl would make him change his life. But he just wants to go to parties."
Her family of six, including Toese, 22, her four children and her younger sister, Tina, 19, are sharing a room in the Road Home. They've been there for about a month.
"Momma, fries," her 2-year-old, Jamal, urged Toese as she fed him ice cubes. "Momma, fries."
"I know," she said. "We don't have money for fries. Tomorrow, OK?"
It's part of the dialog here for a young mother living day to day. Toese grew up in American Samoa and it's too soon to say what the future holds for her children. But Toese, simply by virtue of her gender, is almost two times as likely as a man to be a second generation recipient of public assistance. Add the children and the number skyrockets.
It is among several revelations in a report released Friday by the Utah Department of Workforce Services. Called Intergenerational Poverty in Utah 2012, it measures the impact of growing up in poverty and the likelihood that poverty and its related problems will continue into adulthood.
"The more impoverished a person is during childhood, the more likely that person is to receive public assistance as an adult," the report states.
The Utah figures show: "Almost 36,000 children receiving (public assistance) between 1989 and 2008 are now adults receiving (public assistance). These 'second generation' adults are ages 21 to 41 and represent 1 in every 24 Utahns of the same age group," the report states.
Almost 70 percent of all of the mothers in this group have at least two children.
Rick Little, Director of the department’s Workforce Research and Analysis Division, said there have always been examples of intergenerational poverty, but this is the first time that there has been deep research and data to reveal trends and the size of the challenge facing individuals and the state.
It shows just how difficult it will be for Toese to climb out of poverty, and offers a troubling predictor of the challenge facing her children.
"This is the first time we've quantified that," Little said. "Now we want to watch it. This focuses on those individuals who are chronic."
The report is the result of Senate Bill 37 — the Utah Intergenerational Poverty Mitigation Act, passed in 2012. The act establishes a system to tack poverty and an annual report is required to detail those findings.
The information will be passed on to the governor and to legislators and will be used by state and government officials to determine policies for attacking problems associated with poverty. The department's acting executive director, Jon Pierpont, said intergenerational poverty will be a key issue at an Oct. 9 conference seeking solutions to chronic poverty.
"This is the baseline," he said. "Now, what do we want to do moving forward?"
The results looked at numerous categories, including employment history, legal issues, homelessness, number of children in the home, marital status, age and gender.
"This is not a study on intergenerational poverty in total," Joe Demma, communications director at Utah's Department of Workforce Services, said. "It's only people we can identify who are on public assistance."
Currently, 70 percent of all people living in poverty in Utah receive public assistance. But that leaves 30 percent who don't.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 39
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 14
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah... 13