BYU football: BYU Cougars off to a quick start, lead Hawaii 20-0 at the half
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
PROVO — BYU jumped on Hawaii early and cruised to a 20-0 halftime lead this evening at LaVell Edwards Stadium.
The Cougars clicked on all cylinders while the Warriors endured two big injuries to two of their starting defensive linemen — compounding first-half defensive struggles for Hawaii.
Before the first quarter was even halfway done, Hawaii's Geordon Hanohana and then Siasau Matagiese had to be carted off the field with apparent back injuries. Both were rushed to the hospital where X-rays fortunately came up negative.
BYU got off to a quick start — taking its opening possession 77 yards in nine plays to go up 7-0 with 10:48 remaining in the first quarter. Taysom Hill completed all three of his passes for 44 yards and added 19 yards on three carries during the possession. Jamaal Williams completed the drive with a 2-yard touchdown run.
Hill hit receiver Ross Apo from 22 yards out for the Cougars' next touchdown at the 14:54 mark of the second quarter. The score capped off a seven-play, 80-yard drive.
The highlight of the half came at the 6:16 mark when Hill outran the entire Warrior defense for a 68-yard touchdown run on a draw play. The extra point was missed, however, giving BYU its 20-0 lead.
Hill finished the half completing 10-of-15 passes for 88 yards and a touchdown. He also rushed the ball 12 times for 146 yards. Jamaal Williams contributed 10 rushes for 97 yards, filling in for Michael Alisa, who left the game early with a hand injury.
- Football legend Brett Favre drops in on Alta...
- Final preseason breakdown of BYU, Utah and...
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of BYU,...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah players take blame like...
- BYU's Bronson Kaufusi eager to display new...
- BYU camp report: Taysom Hill throws a pair of...
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real possibility...
- BYU assistant football coach is also Bishop...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 139
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 100
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 74
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 74
- ESPN lists BYU and Utah State as... 65
- Dick Harmon: Will Utah State, BYU be... 46
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 45
- BYU's offense 'too sloppy' in scrimmage 29