Life sentence ordered for Kearns man in murder at mall
SALT LAKE CITY — A Kearns man was sentenced to life in prison Friday for killing a man during a fight at a Kohl's store in West Valley City.
Jose Angel Gonzalez, 22, was sentenced to 20 years to life in prison for the Aug. 9, 2011, murder of George Davila, 24.
In addition to the sentence for first-degree felony murder, Gonzalez was ordered to serve consecutive terms of one to 15 years for obstructing justice, a second-degree felony, and zero to five years for possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person, a third-degree felony.
Last month, jurors convicted Gonzalez of stabbing Davila seven times with a knife after Davila made a derogatory comment about the gang Dog Town. Police say Davila was a member of a rival gang.
Defense attorneys insisted that Gonzalez was only trying to protect himself, but prosecutors said Gonzalez was the aggressor.
The two men met in the parking lot of the store and an exchange took place. They ended up in the bathroom of the store, where Davila was stabbed seven times — three times in the face and three times in the chest.
Davila died at a hospital. Gonzalez was convicted of obstruction for throwing a bloody T-shirt he was wearing down a storm drain.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- UDOT resurfacing 12300 South in Draper
- Mount Timpanogos trail temporarily closing...
- Blue Moon Festival is Aug. 6 in Holladay
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 27
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14
- Rep. Mia Love buying $1M in TV ads for... 13
- Giant algal bloom likely to fuel Utah... 10