Life sentence ordered for Kearns man in murder at mall
SALT LAKE CITY — A Kearns man was sentenced to life in prison Friday for killing a man during a fight at a Kohl's store in West Valley City.
Jose Angel Gonzalez, 22, was sentenced to 20 years to life in prison for the Aug. 9, 2011, murder of George Davila, 24.
In addition to the sentence for first-degree felony murder, Gonzalez was ordered to serve consecutive terms of one to 15 years for obstructing justice, a second-degree felony, and zero to five years for possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person, a third-degree felony.
Last month, jurors convicted Gonzalez of stabbing Davila seven times with a knife after Davila made a derogatory comment about the gang Dog Town. Police say Davila was a member of a rival gang.
Defense attorneys insisted that Gonzalez was only trying to protect himself, but prosecutors said Gonzalez was the aggressor.
The two men met in the parking lot of the store and an exchange took place. They ended up in the bathroom of the store, where Davila was stabbed seven times — three times in the face and three times in the chest.
Davila died at a hospital. Gonzalez was convicted of obstruction for throwing a bloody T-shirt he was wearing down a storm drain.
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- Park City police nab pair suspected of...
- Bringing joy through simple acts of kindness
- Fire at Little America Hotel forces overnight...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Looming knee surgery inspired man to carve canes
- Gary (and Rose) Neeleman: Q and A with a...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 130
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Rally in support of police also draws... 27
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 19
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 19
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9