SALT LAKE CITY — Police shot a man who threatened to have a bomb at the Gallivan Plaza TRAX station Thursday night.
About 10:50 p.m., negotiations between the man and police ceased, and the man began walking toward officers, Salt Lake City police detective Mike Hamideh said. Police ordered the man to stop, and when he didn't comply, they shot the man.
"When they felt their lives were threatened, shots were fired by the officers," Hamideh said.
The man was taken by ambulance to an area hospital in unknown condition. Police didn't release the man's identity Thursday night. No one else was injured during the standoff.
A bomb squad detonated the bag the man claimed contained an explosive device. Hamideh said bomb experts will look at the remnants of the package to determine whether the man had a bomb.
"We do believe he had an item that he alleged was an explosive," Hamideh said.
Police received a report of a man with a bomb at the light-rail station near 250 S. Main. about 9 p.m.
The action took place in view of KUTV's downtown studios at 299 S. Main. The station reported that the man called the newsroom and informed them he had a detonator and a bomb strapped to his chest.
Utah Transit Authority spokesman Gerry Carpenter said TRAX service was shut down about 9:30 p.m.
UTA stopped its northbound service at Courthouse Station, 450 S. Main, and halted southbound trains at City Center Station, 100 S. Main. Passengers were being shuttled on buses between the stations.
Mark Browarsky was on Main Street near the platform when the ordeal began. He said the man began "ranting and raving" about going to jail for a long time and expressing that he didn't have any reason to live.
"He seemed very despondent and dissatisfied with his circumstances," Browarsky said.
People on the platform when the man started his rant at first didn't take him seriously, Browarsky said. When police arrived, they cleared all other people from the platform.
Police asked the public to avoid the area bordered by 200 South, State, 400 South and West Temple.
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in Utah...
- Nurse threatened to kill patient after...
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other elected...
- Charges: Naked man bites dog
- Doug Robinson: We are in the midst of an era...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 129
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 40
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 36
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 29
- Do Utah high school students need four... 21
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in... 16
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 14
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive... 12