Westminster volleyball: Morin’s big night carries Griffins to 3-1 win
SALT LAKE CITY – The Westminster College women’s volleyball team picked up a 3-1 win over Dickinson State on Thursday night in the Behnken Field House. It was the first-ever match between the two schools as Dickinson is in its first year in the Frontier Conference.
Westminster is now 11-6 overall and 4-2 in the Frontier with the 25-13, 22-25, 25-17, 25-15 victory. The loss drops DSU to 2-11 and 0-5.
It was the Westminster middles that carried the heavy burden in the match. Stephanie Jones Morin and Katie Vance combined for 21 kills and 11 blocks. Jones Morin finished with a season-high 12 kills and added a career-best eight blocks. She also hit .393, while Vance hit .444 behind only one error.
The Griffins had a 60-32 edge in kills during the match and hit .255 as a team. They were above .200 hitting in every set but the second while also picking up at least 14 kills in each frame. Westminster picked up five service aces as well. The defense was spectacular in hold DSU to just .029 hitting. The Griffins had 13 blocks and recorded 71 digs, while holding the Blue Hawks to negative hitting in two separate sets.
Ashley Marchant led the team with 14 kills and hit .171. She added 15 digs, two service aces and a career-high five blocks. Alexis Aalona added 12 kills and 10 digs, while Kenzie Mitchell posted eight kills. Emily Atkinson ran the offense to the tune of 49 assists with nine digs and one ace. Kyndall Kordakis had 18 digs to lead everyone in that category.
Melissa Avila had a big night for DSU with nine kills, 17 assists and 15 digs. Sarah Zeibig had six kills with Katelyn Christensen and Chelsea Seibel recording 17 digs apiece.
Westminster will now take a day off before hosting Carroll College (Mont.) on Saturday. First serve is slated for 2 p.m. in the Behnken Field House.
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 83
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 34
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 27
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8