NAPERVILLE, Ill. — Utah Valley's Mason Casper has been named America Sky Men's Conference Golfer of the Week after his victory this week, the league office announced on Thursday.
Casper, a senior from Springville, Utah, carded rounds of 66-69 in the first two rounds Monday, and he held a two-shot lead over Idaho's Gordon Webb heading into Tuesday's final round at the Boise State Dash Thomas Invitational in Meridian, Idaho.
Casper fired a 71 at the par-71, 7,173-yard The Club at SpurWing on the final day, which was enough to hold off Bakerfield's Patrick Bell.
Casper led his team to its second top-5 finish of the year in placing second (849). UVU finished six shots behind tournament winner Washington State (843), while San Jose State (850) and Winthrop (850) tied for third.
Others nominated for the award were Binghamton's Josh Holling, Hartford's Patrick Ross and Northern Colorado's Charlie Mroz.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 35
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 30
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 20