NAPERVILLE, Ill. — Utah Valley's Mason Casper has been named America Sky Men's Conference Golfer of the Week after his victory this week, the league office announced on Thursday.
Casper, a senior from Springville, Utah, carded rounds of 66-69 in the first two rounds Monday, and he held a two-shot lead over Idaho's Gordon Webb heading into Tuesday's final round at the Boise State Dash Thomas Invitational in Meridian, Idaho.
Casper fired a 71 at the par-71, 7,173-yard The Club at SpurWing on the final day, which was enough to hold off Bakerfield's Patrick Bell.
Casper led his team to its second top-5 finish of the year in placing second (849). UVU finished six shots behind tournament winner Washington State (843), while San Jose State (850) and Winthrop (850) tied for third.
Others nominated for the award were Binghamton's Josh Holling, Hartford's Patrick Ross and Northern Colorado's Charlie Mroz.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- NFL locals photo gallery: Ansah grabs the...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48