NAPERVILLE, Ill. — Utah Valley's Mason Casper has been named America Sky Men's Conference Golfer of the Week after his victory this week, the league office announced on Thursday.
Casper, a senior from Springville, Utah, carded rounds of 66-69 in the first two rounds Monday, and he held a two-shot lead over Idaho's Gordon Webb heading into Tuesday's final round at the Boise State Dash Thomas Invitational in Meridian, Idaho.
Casper fired a 71 at the par-71, 7,173-yard The Club at SpurWing on the final day, which was enough to hold off Bakerfield's Patrick Bell.
Casper led his team to its second top-5 finish of the year in placing second (849). UVU finished six shots behind tournament winner Washington State (843), while San Jose State (850) and Winthrop (850) tied for third.
Others nominated for the award were Binghamton's Josh Holling, Hartford's Patrick Ross and Northern Colorado's Charlie Mroz.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Commentary: Long-term success in independence...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- 2014 NBA draft tracker: An ongoing look at...
- BYU basketball: Cougars face No. 21 UMass in...
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- Utah Jazz: Banner day coming for Jerry Sloan
- High school boys basketball: Underdogs shine...
- High school sports: Thursday's prep roundup
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 57
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 53
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 46
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 44