NAPERVILLE, Ill. — Utah Valley's Mason Casper has been named America Sky Men's Conference Golfer of the Week after his victory this week, the league office announced on Thursday.
Casper, a senior from Springville, Utah, carded rounds of 66-69 in the first two rounds Monday, and he held a two-shot lead over Idaho's Gordon Webb heading into Tuesday's final round at the Boise State Dash Thomas Invitational in Meridian, Idaho.
Casper fired a 71 at the par-71, 7,173-yard The Club at SpurWing on the final day, which was enough to hold off Bakerfield's Patrick Bell.
Casper led his team to its second top-5 finish of the year in placing second (849). UVU finished six shots behind tournament winner Washington State (843), while San Jose State (850) and Winthrop (850) tied for third.
Others nominated for the award were Binghamton's Josh Holling, Hartford's Patrick Ross and Northern Colorado's Charlie Mroz.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 48
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 41
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26