NAPERVILLE, Ill. — Utah Valley's Mason Casper has been named America Sky Men's Conference Golfer of the Week after his victory this week, the league office announced on Thursday.
Casper, a senior from Springville, Utah, carded rounds of 66-69 in the first two rounds Monday, and he held a two-shot lead over Idaho's Gordon Webb heading into Tuesday's final round at the Boise State Dash Thomas Invitational in Meridian, Idaho.
Casper fired a 71 at the par-71, 7,173-yard The Club at SpurWing on the final day, which was enough to hold off Bakerfield's Patrick Bell.
Casper led his team to its second top-5 finish of the year in placing second (849). UVU finished six shots behind tournament winner Washington State (843), while San Jose State (850) and Winthrop (850) tied for third.
Others nominated for the award were Binghamton's Josh Holling, Hartford's Patrick Ross and Northern Colorado's Charlie Mroz.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 80
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34