SALT LAKE CITY — A 39-year-old man was arrested Thursday after police say he kidnapped his girlfriend and assaulted the woman's friend and a child.
Just after 8 p.m. Tuesday, Alexander Rodney Thurman forced his way into a house where his live-in girlfriend was visiting friends, according to Salt Lake County Jail records.
Armed with an ice pick, Thurman forced the 42-year-old woman to go with him, according to police. The homeowner and homeowner's son tried to intervene but were assaulted by Thurman, who punched them, according to police.
Thurman took the woman back to their residence and would not let her leave or allow anyone else in, according to jail documents. The woman eventually was able to escape by telling Thurman she had to go to the bathroom and then climbing out the bathroom window, said Salt Lake City police officer Josh Ashdown.
The woman went back to the house where she was allegedly taken from and called police. She was also treated for minor injuries caused by Thurman, Ashdown said.
Thurman was taken into custody about 11:30 a.m. Wednesday. He was booked into jail for investigation of aggravated kidnapping, two counts of aggravated assault and aggravated burglary.
Thurman has an extensive criminal history dating back to 1990, according to Utah State Court records, including convictions for theft by receiving stolen property, attempted purchase of a dangerous weapon, failing to stop at the command of a law enforcer and attempted drug possession.
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- One-third of Utah kids risk becoming...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 85
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 39
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 33
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Granite School District reaches... 21
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for... 12
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 11