SALT LAKE CITY — A 39-year-old man was arrested Thursday after police say he kidnapped his girlfriend and assaulted the woman's friend and a child.
Just after 8 p.m. Tuesday, Alexander Rodney Thurman forced his way into a house where his live-in girlfriend was visiting friends, according to Salt Lake County Jail records.
Armed with an ice pick, Thurman forced the 42-year-old woman to go with him, according to police. The homeowner and homeowner's son tried to intervene but were assaulted by Thurman, who punched them, according to police.
Thurman took the woman back to their residence and would not let her leave or allow anyone else in, according to jail documents. The woman eventually was able to escape by telling Thurman she had to go to the bathroom and then climbing out the bathroom window, said Salt Lake City police officer Josh Ashdown.
The woman went back to the house where she was allegedly taken from and called police. She was also treated for minor injuries caused by Thurman, Ashdown said.
Thurman was taken into custody about 11:30 a.m. Wednesday. He was booked into jail for investigation of aggravated kidnapping, two counts of aggravated assault and aggravated burglary.
Thurman has an extensive criminal history dating back to 1990, according to Utah State Court records, including convictions for theft by receiving stolen property, attempted purchase of a dangerous weapon, failing to stop at the command of a law enforcer and attempted drug possession.
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes 'in...
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- Man killed in officer-involved shooting in...
- GOP primary in governor's race now focused on...
- Provo transit project set to begin, despite...
- Utah Symphony gets standing ovation at N.Y.'s...
- LDS missionary Mason Wells returns home 37...
- Chaffetz attorney calls FEC complaint claims...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 51
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 26
- Report: Spending on charter students... 21
- Utah council wants governor, A.G. probe... 18
- FEC complaint filed against Chaffetz by... 16
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries 13