Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez and the downfalls of growing up Disney
In fact, I think it shows a lot of immaturity to think that drugs, alcohol and risqué behavior are the marks of an “adult” woman. Ironically, whenever a celebrity is caught drinking and driving, having an affair or is entering rehab for drug addiction, the entertainment industry makes it seem like such a tragedy — then gets right back to making blockbuster movies about those very issues, luring young women such as Selena Gomez in.
Gomez went on to clarify that she wasn’t an overly Christian woman, and is therefore OK with doing a very raunchy film.
"He thought I was super, super Christian," Gomez said of her director, Korine, according to the Vancouver Sun. "I was like, 'If I was a Christian girl, I probably wouldn't have done this movie.'”
But who says Christians have a monopoly on values? I know plenty of non-Christian women who feel the same way I do about having standards.
It makes me upset to think this film was made for “kids” who used to watch Gomez on Disney. I sincerely hope those young girls listen to Gomez’s first plea and not go see her film.
In fact, I hope Gomez learns a hard lesson — and that she ends up becoming a better person, as Lovato has.
After all, grown-ups like us have realized that it’s best to learn from our mistakes.
Carmen Rasmusen Herbert is a former "American Idol" contestant who writes about entertainment and family for the Deseret News.
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation Surprise'...
- How new research on chemicals in household...
- The rough road of single motherhood —...
- Dad tires of hearing hit 'Frozen' song,...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are...
- Wacky 'Mr. Peabody and Sherman' makes history...
- When Satan steals your motherhood 36
- Girls who play with Barbie may not see... 12
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Our love-hate... 11
- The rough road of single motherhood... 10
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are... 9
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going... 8
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation... 8
- Dad tires of hearing hit 'Frozen' song,... 7