S.L. County mayoral candidates Mark Crockett, Ben McAdams talk government responsibility
In response to a listener question about improving the Salt Lake County jail, the candidates pushed rehabilitation programs as an alternative to incarceration.
The temperature climbed when Crockett recounted his role in the county council's initiatives with the Drug Offender Reform Act pilot program, which piloted alternatives to jail time for misdemeanor drug offenders.
Crockett accused the Salt Lake County mayor and sheriff of dropping the ball after his departure in not continuing aggressively with those programs, while McAdams said his opponent failed to build necessary coalitions to support the DORA initiative.
Both parties agreed on accommodating bicycle travel, improving air quality, avoiding tax increases and representing minority groups.
The candidates will face off again Saturday at 11 a.m. in a debate hosted by St Marks Episcopal Cathedral, located at 231 E. 100 South. A debate will also be presented Sunday morning at 9 a.m. on KSL 5 Sunday Edition.
- Lost recording of an interview with 1867...
- Boulder slams into Rockville home, killing two
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in ongoing...
- National Weather Service radar mistakes swans...
- Passerby was mistakenly used as translator in...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Man accused in wife's death loved her, 'had...
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 67
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 37
- Do Utah high school students need four... 30
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in... 20
- Young adults are faced with risky... 15
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 14
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive... 12
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in... 12