Utah Jazz: 4 players signed for camp; open scrimmage scheduled
Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Four more free agents will get a shot at making the Utah Jazz roster this fall.
The Jazz have signed four players in time for the first practice on Tuesday, Oct. 2. The addition of forwards Trey Gilder and Darnell Jackson, center Brian Butch and guard Chris Quinn brings Utah's roster to 19 players.
The Jazz also announced that their annual open scrimmage will be held on Saturday, Oct. 6, beginning at 4 p.m. at EnergySolutions Arena. That event is free to the public.
The 6-foot-2, 175-pound Quinn has the most NBA experience of the Jazz's recent camp invitees. He has played in 234 games over five seasons with Miami, New Jersey and San Antonio. Last year, Quinn, who has NBA averages of 4.6 points and 1.6 assists, played for 2012 EuroCup champion BCKhimky Moscow Region in the Russia League.
Gilder, a 6-9 big man from Northwestern State, participated in the Jazz's abbreviated training camp last December before being cut prior to the start of the lockout-shortened season. He played two games for the Grizzlies in 2009 and has additional pro experience around the D-League and the international hoops scene.
The 6-9, 253-pound Jackson has seen NBA action with Cleveland, Milwaukee and Sacramento. The Kansas product averaged 2.2 points and 1.5 rebounds in his previous 138 NBA games. Last season, he played for BC Donetsk of the Ukraine-Superleague and was on the Kings' summer-league squad.
Butch, like former Jazz guard Devin Harris, is a Wisconsin alum. He has bounced around the pro world, including playing for the D-League's Bakersfield Jam last year after participating in the New Orleans Hornets' camp. He was on the Denver Nuggets' roster at the end of the 2010 season but didn't play.
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for NBA...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Guest commentary: Should the Jazz trade their...
- His legacy at BYU secure, Tyler Haws...
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls —...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 113
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 64
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 30
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 23
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 21
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8