Utah Jazz: 4 players signed for camp; open scrimmage scheduled
Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Four more free agents will get a shot at making the Utah Jazz roster this fall.
The Jazz have signed four players in time for the first practice on Tuesday, Oct. 2. The addition of forwards Trey Gilder and Darnell Jackson, center Brian Butch and guard Chris Quinn brings Utah's roster to 19 players.
The Jazz also announced that their annual open scrimmage will be held on Saturday, Oct. 6, beginning at 4 p.m. at EnergySolutions Arena. That event is free to the public.
The 6-foot-2, 175-pound Quinn has the most NBA experience of the Jazz's recent camp invitees. He has played in 234 games over five seasons with Miami, New Jersey and San Antonio. Last year, Quinn, who has NBA averages of 4.6 points and 1.6 assists, played for 2012 EuroCup champion BCKhimky Moscow Region in the Russia League.
Gilder, a 6-9 big man from Northwestern State, participated in the Jazz's abbreviated training camp last December before being cut prior to the start of the lockout-shortened season. He played two games for the Grizzlies in 2009 and has additional pro experience around the D-League and the international hoops scene.
The 6-9, 253-pound Jackson has seen NBA action with Cleveland, Milwaukee and Sacramento. The Kansas product averaged 2.2 points and 1.5 rebounds in his previous 138 NBA games. Last season, he played for BC Donetsk of the Ukraine-Superleague and was on the Kings' summer-league squad.
Butch, like former Jazz guard Devin Harris, is a Wisconsin alum. He has bounced around the pro world, including playing for the D-League's Bakersfield Jam last year after participating in the New Orleans Hornets' camp. He was on the Denver Nuggets' roster at the end of the 2010 season but didn't play.
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best Pac-12...
- BYU-Utah State: How to watch, listen to or...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- BYU's bowl destination — Las Vegas or...
- BYU-USU video: 5 plays that turned the game...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 60
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 52
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 35
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad... 32
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's... 29
- Doug Robinson: Colorado-Utah: In the... 23