BYU cross-country: Cougars head to Oregon for Bill Dellinger Invitational
Provo, Utah – The No. 3 BYU men's cross country team will race in the Bill Dellinger Invitational on Saturday, hosted by the No. 23 University of Oregon, at Springfield Golf Course in Springfield, Ore.
The Cougars head into the contest having won their last two meets. At the BYU Autumn Classic earlier this month, BYU scored 15 points with the five scoring runners finishing in a 12-second window.
Head coach Ed Eyestone used the early season races to help narrow BYU’s traveling team roster to his top 14 runners. He said this weekend’s 8K race will help his team prove themselves against other talented schools.
“This will be a nice opportunity to see how we do against some better competition,” he said. "We’ve got about 10 schools that we’ll be going against. Oregon and Washington are the two big ones.”
The last time BYU competed at the Bill Dellinger Invitational was in 2009. That year, the Cougars finished behind Alabama for second place and went on to place 17th in the NCAA Championships.
Eyestone said the meet will help his team get a taste of the type of competition it will face in the upcoming Pre-National and West Coast Conference meets.
“It’s good to have a nice opportunity to run against some better competition,” Eyestone said. “This will be the first meet where we’ll see things come together. It’s not the National Championships, but we’d like to do well. It’s always nice to go into the running mecca, which is the University of Oregon, and do well.”
The men’s race is set to begin at 12:15 MDT.
More information about the race can be found on Oregon's website.
Results for the men’s race can be found on the BYU Cougars website after the completion of the race.
Mason Porter is a Sports Information Director for BYU Athletic Communications. Contact him at email@example.com.
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State all...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th in...
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor Harding...
- Utah Utes football: Ranking the best players...
- Doug Robinson: Weber State track coach isn't...
- Morning links: BYU letting fans tailgate;...
- Utah Jazz: 'Hungry' Trey Burke keeping busy...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 91
- Phil Steele gives tempered assessment... 77
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 74
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 69
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 49
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 47
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 39
- BYU looking for another defensive... 33