BYU cross-country: Cougars head to Oregon for Bill Dellinger Invitational
Provo, Utah – The No. 3 BYU men's cross country team will race in the Bill Dellinger Invitational on Saturday, hosted by the No. 23 University of Oregon, at Springfield Golf Course in Springfield, Ore.
The Cougars head into the contest having won their last two meets. At the BYU Autumn Classic earlier this month, BYU scored 15 points with the five scoring runners finishing in a 12-second window.
Head coach Ed Eyestone used the early season races to help narrow BYU’s traveling team roster to his top 14 runners. He said this weekend’s 8K race will help his team prove themselves against other talented schools.
“This will be a nice opportunity to see how we do against some better competition,” he said. "We’ve got about 10 schools that we’ll be going against. Oregon and Washington are the two big ones.”
The last time BYU competed at the Bill Dellinger Invitational was in 2009. That year, the Cougars finished behind Alabama for second place and went on to place 17th in the NCAA Championships.
Eyestone said the meet will help his team get a taste of the type of competition it will face in the upcoming Pre-National and West Coast Conference meets.
“It’s good to have a nice opportunity to run against some better competition,” Eyestone said. “This will be the first meet where we’ll see things come together. It’s not the National Championships, but we’d like to do well. It’s always nice to go into the running mecca, which is the University of Oregon, and do well.”
The men’s race is set to begin at 12:15 MDT.
More information about the race can be found on Oregon's website.
Results for the men’s race can be found on the BYU Cougars website after the completion of the race.
Mason Porter is a Sports Information Director for BYU Athletic Communications. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BYU looking to make a big splash at Maui...
- Local flavor in the NBA: Lillard continues to...
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment, commits...
- Utes drop out of national rankings following...
- BYU looking for strong finish in intriguing...
- Utah coach Kyle Whittingham says Utes didn't...
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 155
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 79
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 40
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 32
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 31
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach... 27
- BYU looking for strong finish in... 26