ST. GEORGE — A man was stabbed in the chest following an alleged road rage incident on Tuesday.
About 9:30 p.m., a driver allegedly cut off another car on St. George Boulevard near 200 East, said St. George police officer Derek Lewis. At the next stop light, the passenger of one vehicle and the driver of the other got out to argue.
The verbal argument turned to pushing before one of the men, 22, felt something hit his chest. He got back into the passenger seat of the vehicle he was riding in, not realizing he had been stabbed, Lewis said.
"His chest felt warm. He put his hand on there and felt blood on his hand," Lewis said.
The man's friend drove him to Dixie Regional Medical Center where he was taken into surgery. His updated condition was not known Wednesday but Lewis said his injuries did not appear to be life-threatening.
Based on witness descriptions, including providing a license plate number, detectives were able to track down the other man involved in the argument and recover a buck knife, Lewis said. Steven Swift, 21, was booked into the Washington County Jail for investigation of aggravated assault.
Swift claimed he acted in self-defense, Lewis said.
State court records show Swift was charged in 2007 with "speed contest or exhibition" driving on the freeway and reckless driving, both class B misdemeanors. Both charges were eventually dismissed.
In 2010, he was convicted of misdemeanor drug possession and sentenced to probation, according to state court records.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 36
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 25