PAGE, Ariz. — Searches resumed Wednesday for two missing men presumed to have drowned in Lake Powell in separate incidents.
On Sept. 21, a 35-year-old Salt Lake man was swimming out to a houseboat in the Gunsight Bay area when he started calling for help, said Glen Canyon National Recreation Area spokeswoman Denise Shultz.
Before friends could reach him, he slipped beneath the water and could not be found, she said. Shultz noted that Gunsight Bay was deeper than other areas because it had underwater canyons.
On Monday, in a separate incident, a 58-year-old Scottsdale, Ariz., man was on a jet ski trying to reach a drifting houseboat that had broken free during a heavy windstorm that produced high waves.
As the man and a passenger approached the boat, the lanyard for the kill switch fell off and into the water. The Arizona man jumped in after it, Shultz said. The passenger was able to restart the jet ski and got to the drifting houseboat, but neither he nor the group he was with could find their friend.
The Utah Highway Patrol Dive Team was among several groups participating in the searches for the two missing men on Wednesday, as well as the Kane County Sheriff's Office and the National Park Service.
The presumed drownings of the two men would mark the sixth and seventh drowning victims at Glen Canyon this year, and the 12th fatality overall. The most fatalities at Glen Canyon in one year was 13.
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Man arrested in connection with baby's death
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Woman accused of leaving young son outside...
- Lawmaker's proposal would offer free tuition...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 48
- House Speaker Becky Lockhart is running... 36
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 34
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 33
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 33
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- LDS missionary critically injured in... 27