PRICE — A man fired multiple rounds from a shotgun in a residential area Tuesday night, prompting a lockdown of the dormitories at Utah State University Eastern.
Ralph Schade had been "experiencing some personal issues" recently and "decided to take out his frustrations" by stepping out of his home at 660 N. 200 East about 6:30 p.m. armed with a shotgun, said Price Police Capt. Ben Barnes. Schade then fired as many as four rounds from the weapon, according to witnesses.
"There was no indication that he was aiming at someone else or trying to harm himself," Barnes said.
Police from throughout Carbon County set up a perimeter around the house and tried to make contact with Schade. An hour and a half later they learned Schade had left the home after firing the shots, but before police arrived.
An officer located Schade at a relative's home in nearby Wellington and cited him for discharging a firearm within city limits, a class B misdemeanor. Prosecutors could file additional charges, Barnes said.
Drug and alcohol use do not appear to be factors in what happened Tuesday night, the captain said.
The incident happened less than two blocks from the dormitories at Utah State University Eastern. All students living in the dorms were kept inside and the buildings were secured as a safety precaution, said Brad King, the school's vice chancellor for administration and advancement.
The dormitory lockdown was lifted once police determined a threat to public safety no longer existed, King said.
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- Utah construction companies fined, ordered to...
- Utah in top 10 for visitor spending at...
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 60
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 59
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 42
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 36
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Tickets sell out for 'Book of Mormon'... 16