PRICE — A man fired multiple rounds from a shotgun in a residential area Tuesday night, prompting a lockdown of the dormitories at Utah State University Eastern.
Ralph Schade had been "experiencing some personal issues" recently and "decided to take out his frustrations" by stepping out of his home at 660 N. 200 East about 6:30 p.m. armed with a shotgun, said Price Police Capt. Ben Barnes. Schade then fired as many as four rounds from the weapon, according to witnesses.
"There was no indication that he was aiming at someone else or trying to harm himself," Barnes said.
Police from throughout Carbon County set up a perimeter around the house and tried to make contact with Schade. An hour and a half later they learned Schade had left the home after firing the shots, but before police arrived.
An officer located Schade at a relative's home in nearby Wellington and cited him for discharging a firearm within city limits, a class B misdemeanor. Prosecutors could file additional charges, Barnes said.
Drug and alcohol use do not appear to be factors in what happened Tuesday night, the captain said.
The incident happened less than two blocks from the dormitories at Utah State University Eastern. All students living in the dorms were kept inside and the buildings were secured as a safety precaution, said Brad King, the school's vice chancellor for administration and advancement.
The dormitory lockdown was lifted once police determined a threat to public safety no longer existed, King said.
- Ogden home burglarized while family attends...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- 'Our lives have been better for having her,'...
- How do I know if I'm ovulating?
- Utah lawmakers contemplate law requiring body...
- Proposed tax increase a 'bold move' for...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 69
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 36
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 34
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 27
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 21
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah... 20