PRICE — A man fired multiple rounds from a shotgun in a residential area Tuesday night, prompting a lockdown of the dormitories at Utah State University Eastern.
Ralph Schade had been "experiencing some personal issues" recently and "decided to take out his frustrations" by stepping out of his home at 660 N. 200 East about 6:30 p.m. armed with a shotgun, said Price Police Capt. Ben Barnes. Schade then fired as many as four rounds from the weapon, according to witnesses.
"There was no indication that he was aiming at someone else or trying to harm himself," Barnes said.
Police from throughout Carbon County set up a perimeter around the house and tried to make contact with Schade. An hour and a half later they learned Schade had left the home after firing the shots, but before police arrived.
An officer located Schade at a relative's home in nearby Wellington and cited him for discharging a firearm within city limits, a class B misdemeanor. Prosecutors could file additional charges, Barnes said.
Drug and alcohol use do not appear to be factors in what happened Tuesday night, the captain said.
The incident happened less than two blocks from the dormitories at Utah State University Eastern. All students living in the dorms were kept inside and the buildings were secured as a safety precaution, said Brad King, the school's vice chancellor for administration and advancement.
The dormitory lockdown was lifted once police determined a threat to public safety no longer existed, King said.
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Utah natives receive rave reviews, make 'So...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Body found in suitcase near Saltair identified
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 289
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 128
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 101
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 88
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 73
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 65
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35