Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
"BYU's decision to leave the Mountain West Conference, go independent in football, and join the West Coast Conference in all other sports for the 2011-12 season was supposed to hurt the Cougars' basketball program because it would effectively end BYU's rivalries with UNLV, San Diego State and New Mexico," Katz writes. "Well, San Diego State is leaving the Mountain West for the Big West. And BYU can still schedule non-conference games with UNLV and New Mexico. Losing those matchups from the schedule didn't seem to hurt BYU much. The Cougars were still challenged plenty during their first season in the WCC, finishing third behind Saint Mary's and Gonzaga. And BYU still built a profile that was respectable enough to secure an NCAA tournament at-large bid. The Cougars recovered from a 25-point hole against Iona to win 78-72 in the First Four before losing by 20 to No. 3 seed Marquette in the second round."
He also talks about sophomore forward Tyler Haws, who missed two seasons while serving a Mormon mission, averaged 11.3 points and 4.2 rebounds in 2009-10 while playing alongside Jimmer Fredette.
Aaron Taylor of Blood Runs Blue fame has created a new sports webcomic that pretty much sums up BYU's football season so far.
And former BYU recruit, and current Notre Dame star, Manti Teo graces the cover of this week's Sports Illustrated. The Cougars and Fighting Irish meet in November.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37