Charles Dharapak, file, Associated Press
Amidst vocal protest from family members of the victims of the movie theater shooting in Aurora, Colo., a new manager has been appointed to oversee the Aurora Victim Relief Fund and is expected to focus on quickly distributing the proper funds to victims and their families.
"Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper appointed Kenneth Feinberg on Friday to manage to the Aurora Victim Relief Fund following complaints from the families of those killed or wounded in the July 20 attack about slow disbursement of the more than $5-million contributed to the fund," according to the Chronicle of Philanthropy.
Fienberg is no stranger to dealing with these type of situations. He was involved in managing compensation funds for victims of Sept. 11, the Virginia Tech shooting and the BP oil spill, according to reports. He was also recently assigned to manage compensation claims in the Penn State child sex-abuse case involving Jerry Sandusky.
He worked on several of the above cases for free, and intends to do the same on this case, the Denver Post reported.
"I am doing what millions Americans would do if asked," he said to reporters at a news conference at the Capitol. "I have had some experience doing this, so I get the call.
Many of the victims' family members gathered weeks ago to publicly express their concern with the relief fund and how the donated money was being managed and distributed.
“Victims are paralyzed, facing multiple and painful surgeries, unable to walk, to work and pay their rent, food and medical bills,” said Tom Teves, whose son, Alex, was one of the 12 people killed, the Los Angeles Times reported. “Some have no medical insurance at all.”
Feinberg said the nearly $5 million in donations for victims of the Aurora theater shooting should be delivered "quickly without restriction," reported the Denver Post.
"What is vitally important," Feinberg said at the news conference, "is the necessity to get this money out to those in need and who have suffered a terrible, terrible loss."
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach Europe...
- Freelancers and millennials help usher in the...
- Corvette Museum to completely fill in...
- Mexico authorities stage midnight migrant raid
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh Hewitt...
- Student evades monitors, spreads Ebola to...
- Obama to attend wedding of longtime personal...
- Surly 2014 electorate poised to 'keep the...
- A New York Times article said Michael... 44
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 36
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- For the first time in American history,... 30
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in... 16
- Why the poverty cycle is harder to... 15
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14
- 3 ways insurers can still avoid... 13