BYU women's golf: Team takes 10th place finish at 2012 Washington State University Cougar Cup
PULLMAN, Wash. – The BYU women’s golf team finished tied for 10th place with Santa Clara at the Washington State University Cougar Cup, after steady play from sophomores Lauren Atkinson and Maria Yacaman.
Atkinson shot a final-round 77 (+5) after going one-under par on the back nine, while Yacaman shot a final-round 79 (+7) birdying two holes on the back nine. Yacaman proved to be the most consistent player throughout the entire tournament, leading the team with a 54-hole total 232 (+16) to tie for 40th overall in the field.
“Maria and Lauren were playing really well today, and just at the end finished a little poorly,” head coach Carrie Roberts said. “It’s good to see them, especially sophomores, playing well.”
Freshman Lea Garner continues to gain experience during her young BYU career. Garner shot one-over-par on the front nine including two birdies and finished with a final-round 78 (+6).
The Cougars finished the tournament with a total team score of 929 (+65) after shooting a combined 26 over-par in today’s final round.
“Overall, we need to work harder and get better,” Roberts said. “We’re not quite where we need to be, so we need to keep working hard until we get there."
The Cougars are next in action on Oct. 8-10 as they travel to Las Cruces, N.M., to compete in the 2012 Price’s New Mexico State University Collegiate Women’s Golf Invitational. Live stats of the tournament can be followed on the Golfstat website.
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Utah Jazz: Latest acquisition Booker aims to...
- Utah football: Pac-12 Football Media Day Central
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 93
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 76
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 46
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 41
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 27
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26