BYU women's golf: Team takes 10th place finish at 2012 Washington State University Cougar Cup
PULLMAN, Wash. – The BYU women’s golf team finished tied for 10th place with Santa Clara at the Washington State University Cougar Cup, after steady play from sophomores Lauren Atkinson and Maria Yacaman.
Atkinson shot a final-round 77 (+5) after going one-under par on the back nine, while Yacaman shot a final-round 79 (+7) birdying two holes on the back nine. Yacaman proved to be the most consistent player throughout the entire tournament, leading the team with a 54-hole total 232 (+16) to tie for 40th overall in the field.
“Maria and Lauren were playing really well today, and just at the end finished a little poorly,” head coach Carrie Roberts said. “It’s good to see them, especially sophomores, playing well.”
Freshman Lea Garner continues to gain experience during her young BYU career. Garner shot one-over-par on the front nine including two birdies and finished with a final-round 78 (+6).
The Cougars finished the tournament with a total team score of 929 (+65) after shooting a combined 26 over-par in today’s final round.
“Overall, we need to work harder and get better,” Roberts said. “We’re not quite where we need to be, so we need to keep working hard until we get there."
The Cougars are next in action on Oct. 8-10 as they travel to Las Cruces, N.M., to compete in the 2012 Price’s New Mexico State University Collegiate Women’s Golf Invitational. Live stats of the tournament can be followed on the Golfstat website.
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at email@example.com
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 51
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48