BYU women's golf: Team takes 10th place finish at 2012 Washington State University Cougar Cup
PULLMAN, Wash. – The BYU women’s golf team finished tied for 10th place with Santa Clara at the Washington State University Cougar Cup, after steady play from sophomores Lauren Atkinson and Maria Yacaman.
Atkinson shot a final-round 77 (+5) after going one-under par on the back nine, while Yacaman shot a final-round 79 (+7) birdying two holes on the back nine. Yacaman proved to be the most consistent player throughout the entire tournament, leading the team with a 54-hole total 232 (+16) to tie for 40th overall in the field.
“Maria and Lauren were playing really well today, and just at the end finished a little poorly,” head coach Carrie Roberts said. “It’s good to see them, especially sophomores, playing well.”
Freshman Lea Garner continues to gain experience during her young BYU career. Garner shot one-over-par on the front nine including two birdies and finished with a final-round 78 (+6).
The Cougars finished the tournament with a total team score of 929 (+65) after shooting a combined 26 over-par in today’s final round.
“Overall, we need to work harder and get better,” Roberts said. “We’re not quite where we need to be, so we need to keep working hard until we get there."
The Cougars are next in action on Oct. 8-10 as they travel to Las Cruces, N.M., to compete in the 2012 Price’s New Mexico State University Collegiate Women’s Golf Invitational. Live stats of the tournament can be followed on the Golfstat website.
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Is independence a viable option for BYU, or...
- BYU football: 10 players to buy stock in
- Utah Jazz almost on the clock to match Gordon...
- Jimmer Fredette returns to Provo to talk...
- BYU football: 10 players poised for breakout...
- Jazz rookie Rodney Hood starting to feel more...
- 10 with ties to Utah set for NBA Summer...
- Utah Utes to face familiar faces in football...
- Vai's View: Harvey Langi hopes to... 276
- BYU-Utah rated nation's 12th-best... 117
- Gordon Hayward agrees to terms with... 65
- Is independence a viable option for... 55
- 4 Utah college football players named... 30
- BYU football: Box Elder's Riley Burt... 29
- Utah Jazz almost on the clock to match... 25
- Jimmer Fredette returns to Provo to... 13