MERIDIAN, Idaho – Utah Valley University golfer Mason Casper fired an even-par 71 Tuesday in the final round of the Boise State Dash Memorial to capture his third career individual victory at seven-under par.
"It's a pretty special day for Mason," UVU men's golf coach Chris Curran said. "To have the most wins in school history shows how talented he is."
Casper carded rounds of 66-69 in the first two rounds Monday, and he held a two-shot lead over Idaho's Gordon Webb heading into Tuesday's final round.
Casper's 71 at the par-71, 7,173-yard The Club at SpurWing on the final day was enough to hold off Bakerfield's Patrick Bell, who shot a final-round 65.
"Today was a struggle for Mason but he found a way to put together a good round," Curran said.
His first career collegiate win came at the SUU Pat Hicks Thunderbird Invitational Feb. 15, 2010, when he shot rounds of 67-70 to win by two shots. Last year, he shot 14-under par to win the Battle in the Tetons.
As a team, the Wolverines (849) posted their second top-5 finish of the year in placing second at the Dash Thomas, six shots behind tournament winner Washington State (843). San Jose State (850) and Winthrop (850) tied for third.
"After our finish last week (11th at the Itani Quality Homes Invitational in Pullman, Wash.), this feels pretty good," Curran said. "The guys fought really hard for every shot this week. I am very proud of them."
The Wolverines tied for third at the Battle in the Tetons in the first tournament of the 2012-13 season.
Behind Casper, the Wolverines had two more top-20 finishes. With rounds of 69-69-75 Stratton Schulz tied for 11th at the Dash Thomas, while Corey Eccles, with rounds of 70-73-71, tied for 15th. Brayden Eriksen (76-73-69) tied for 30th and Joey Olson (74-78-77) finished 59th.
The Wolverines are back in action Oct. 14-16 at the Lonestar Invitational hosted by the University of Texas-San Antonio.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes still outstanding from...
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- Best of the West: Shifting teams around after...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 99
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 90
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 55
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 33
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28