MERIDIAN, Idaho – Utah Valley University golfer Mason Casper fired an even-par 71 Tuesday in the final round of the Boise State Dash Memorial to capture his third career individual victory at seven-under par.
"It's a pretty special day for Mason," UVU men's golf coach Chris Curran said. "To have the most wins in school history shows how talented he is."
Casper carded rounds of 66-69 in the first two rounds Monday, and he held a two-shot lead over Idaho's Gordon Webb heading into Tuesday's final round.
Casper's 71 at the par-71, 7,173-yard The Club at SpurWing on the final day was enough to hold off Bakerfield's Patrick Bell, who shot a final-round 65.
"Today was a struggle for Mason but he found a way to put together a good round," Curran said.
His first career collegiate win came at the SUU Pat Hicks Thunderbird Invitational Feb. 15, 2010, when he shot rounds of 67-70 to win by two shots. Last year, he shot 14-under par to win the Battle in the Tetons.
As a team, the Wolverines (849) posted their second top-5 finish of the year in placing second at the Dash Thomas, six shots behind tournament winner Washington State (843). San Jose State (850) and Winthrop (850) tied for third.
"After our finish last week (11th at the Itani Quality Homes Invitational in Pullman, Wash.), this feels pretty good," Curran said. "The guys fought really hard for every shot this week. I am very proud of them."
The Wolverines tied for third at the Battle in the Tetons in the first tournament of the 2012-13 season.
Behind Casper, the Wolverines had two more top-20 finishes. With rounds of 69-69-75 Stratton Schulz tied for 11th at the Dash Thomas, while Corey Eccles, with rounds of 70-73-71, tied for 15th. Brayden Eriksen (76-73-69) tied for 30th and Joey Olson (74-78-77) finished 59th.
The Wolverines are back in action Oct. 14-16 at the Lonestar Invitational hosted by the University of Texas-San Antonio.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- The 1995 NBA draft redone: Was Greg Ostertag...
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;...
- Utah Jazz: Brazilian point guard Raul Neto...
- Jazz fan favorite Jeremy Evans' era in Utah...
- So far, Dante Exum appears to be bigger and...
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert Anae...
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder than...
- Hatfield suspended from U. football program...
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 106
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder... 32
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;... 31
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert... 29
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 27
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 27
- Utah Utes enjoy banner year as seven... 18