Former Sky View drill team instructor charged with stealing funds
SMITHFIELD, Cache County — A former drill team instructor for Sky View High School who, according to prosecutors, said she deserved to be paid more, has been charged with embezzling money.
Jackie Lynn Hansen, 27, was charged in 1st District Court with theft, a second-degree felony; four counts of forgery, a third-degree felony; and an additional misdemeanor count of theft.
On Aug. 26, 2010, Hansen submitted an invoice to the school from "Arena Design" for $1,260, allegedly for costumes, according to the charges. But the school could not find a business in Utah with that name.
A detective questioned Hansen's roommate, who said Hansen had made up the invoice because Hansen believed "Sky View was not paying her what she deserved," according to the charges.
In 2009 and 2010, Hansen submitted four invoices to the school that appeared to be from Walmart and JoAnn Fabrics ranging from $125 to $725. She later admitted to detectives that she forged the invoices "to get reimbursed for time she had spent on choreography and music," the charges state.
Hansen allegedly admitted forging eight invoices between May of 2009 and January of 2010 for nearly $5,845. Between August 2008 and December 2010, she was reimbursed an additional $5,000 for 50 purchases that were allegedly drill team-related, court records state. Police say Hansen told them part of that money was for her own use.
Hansen was arrested and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on Sept. 19 and posted bail. Her next court hearing is scheduled for Oct. 1.
She was the Sky View drill team instructor until April of 2011.
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- Photo gallery: Journey headlines 35th Stadium...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- Doug Robinson: Utah's Glen Hanson has had an...
- President Packer's enduring legacy includes...
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in state...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 66
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 42
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 39
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 24
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without... 16
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in... 15
- My view: Utah lawmakers can protect... 13