PULLMAN, Wash. – The BYU women’s golf team stands in ninth place after the first day of competition at the 2012 Washington State University Cougar Cup led by a consistent effort from senior Amanda Keith and sophomore Maria Yacaman.
Keith and Yacaman both finished the day at nine-over-par after two rounds of tournament action. Keith had a strong first round, shooting three birdies on the back nine to finish at two-over-par. Yacaman contributed two birdies in round one to finish at three-over-par.
“Maria and Amanda played well that first round,” head coach Carrie Roberts said. “A lot of good things are going on, we just need to do it more consistently.”
Freshman Lea Garner struggled early on, before finding her groove in round two. Garner shot a first-round 80 (+8) and a second-round 76 (+4) with a span of seven-straight pars on the back nine. Sophomore Lauren Atkinson also finished strong going one-under-par on the back nine to shoot a second-round 76 (+4).
The Cougars will work to improve upon their ninth place standing tomorrow trailing eighth place Nevada by eight strokes. Coach Roberts looks to help her team shoot their best round of the tournament during round three.
“We had a goal to do better each round, so we just need to make better decisions and commit better,” Roberts said. “Our goal is to beat the first round score [tomorrow] by at least two shots.”
Fellow West Coast Conference opponent Gonzaga currently stands in third place, while Santa Clara is currently tied for 10th place with Sacramento State. Live stats and standings of tomorrow's tournament action can be followed on the Golfstat website.
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- MWC commissioner says it's probable BYU...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- Tebow’s recent breakup creates divide...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 110
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 71
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 67
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends... 63
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 47
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 36