PULLMAN, Wash. – The BYU women’s golf team stands in ninth place after the first day of competition at the 2012 Washington State University Cougar Cup led by a consistent effort from senior Amanda Keith and sophomore Maria Yacaman.
Keith and Yacaman both finished the day at nine-over-par after two rounds of tournament action. Keith had a strong first round, shooting three birdies on the back nine to finish at two-over-par. Yacaman contributed two birdies in round one to finish at three-over-par.
“Maria and Amanda played well that first round,” head coach Carrie Roberts said. “A lot of good things are going on, we just need to do it more consistently.”
Freshman Lea Garner struggled early on, before finding her groove in round two. Garner shot a first-round 80 (+8) and a second-round 76 (+4) with a span of seven-straight pars on the back nine. Sophomore Lauren Atkinson also finished strong going one-under-par on the back nine to shoot a second-round 76 (+4).
The Cougars will work to improve upon their ninth place standing tomorrow trailing eighth place Nevada by eight strokes. Coach Roberts looks to help her team shoot their best round of the tournament during round three.
“We had a goal to do better each round, so we just need to make better decisions and commit better,” Roberts said. “Our goal is to beat the first round score [tomorrow] by at least two shots.”
Fellow West Coast Conference opponent Gonzaga currently stands in third place, while Santa Clara is currently tied for 10th place with Sacramento State. Live stats and standings of tomorrow's tournament action can be followed on the Golfstat website.
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at email@example.com
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 97
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has... 24