MERIDIAN, Idaho – After the first two rounds of the Boise State Dash Thomas Memorial Monday, Utah Valley University golfer Mason Casper has a two-shot lead over second-place Gordon Webb of the University of Idaho heading into Tuesday's final round.
Casper fired a career-tying low 5-under-par 66 at the par-71, 7,173-yard The Club at SpurWing.
"He was firing on all cylinders," UVU men's golf coach Chris Curran said of Casper's 66. "He putted very well. We have the opportunity to bring home two titles on Tuesday. That's pretty special."
His first career-low 66 came in the first round of the 2011 Battle in the Tetons. He went on to win the tournament at 14-under par.
Nick Neal (2007-08) and Cody Powers (2004-05) hold the school record with 64s.
Casper followed his 66 up with a 2-under-par 69 to build the lead over Webb, who shot rounds of 68-69.
Utah Valley's Stratton Schulz shot back-to-back rounds of 69 and is tied for fourth with three other golfers at 4-under par.
Along with Casper and Schulz, Corey Eccles shot an opening-round 70, and the Wolverines (279) held a four-shot lead over San Jose State. The 279 is the second-best first-round total in school history and ties for fifth-best in all rounds.
Washington State's Sang Lee fired a second-round 63 as the Cougars shot 6-under par in the second round to vault from fourth place to first.
The Cougars hold a two-shot lead over the Wolverines, who shot a second-round 284.
"What a difference a week makes. We have put ourselves in position and that's all we can ask for. We executed the game plan perfectly," Curran said. "We got off to a great start this morning and kept it going this afternoon."
Eccles is currently tied for 15th after rounds of 70-73, while Brayden Eriksen (76-73) and Joey Olson (74-78) are tied for 44th and tied for 57th, respectively.
The final round tees off Tuesday morning at 9 a.m. MT.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 51
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48