KAYSVILLE — A maintenance worker who was shot in an argument Friday remained in critical condition while police investigated the death of the man they say shot him.
Sgt. Paul Thompson of the Kaysville City Police Department said Steve Bailey, 51, remained in "extremely critical condition" after being shot six times. Police would not discuss details of Bailey's injuries.
Bailey is a maintenance worker at the Francis Peak View apartment complex, 600 W. Mutton Hollow Road, where Friday's incident occurred.
Police have identified the shooter as Johnny Rosales, 47, who lived in the complex. An unexplained argument began between Bailey and Rosales at about 2:30 p.m., escalating until Rosales retrieved a handgun from his apartment and fired on Bailey.
Rosales then received fire from two men, another Francis Peak resident and one of Bailey's fellow maintenance workers, Thompson said. Rosales returned to his apartment and died as a result of the gunshot wounds he sustained. Police entered his apartment at about 5:30 p.m.
Thompson would not say how many shots were fired at Rosales, how many times he was hit or whether he returned fire.
Police would not release the names of the two men who fired on Rosales and said they are not in police custody. It will be determined whether charges will be filed in the homicide once the medical examiner's report is complete, Thompson said.
Police are also not specifying whether the two men were carrying the weapons at the time or whether they retrieved them before firing on Rosales, nor would they comment on whether the men were certified to carry a concealed weapon.
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- South Jordan mother spends days caring for...
- Repo man charged with manslaughter in...
- Report: Tourism spending in Utah grew to...
- Herbert appoints new 3rd District Court judge
- Polygamous food stamp fraud trial pushed back...
- Bomb threats called in to 2 Utah schools
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 105
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 40
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 33
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9
- IRS scam goes far beyond a phone call... 8
- San Juan County Commissioner appeals... 8