KAYSVILLE — A maintenance worker who was shot in an argument Friday remained in critical condition while police investigated the death of the man they say shot him.
Sgt. Paul Thompson of the Kaysville City Police Department said Steve Bailey, 51, remained in "extremely critical condition" after being shot six times. Police would not discuss details of Bailey's injuries.
Bailey is a maintenance worker at the Francis Peak View apartment complex, 600 W. Mutton Hollow Road, where Friday's incident occurred.
Police have identified the shooter as Johnny Rosales, 47, who lived in the complex. An unexplained argument began between Bailey and Rosales at about 2:30 p.m., escalating until Rosales retrieved a handgun from his apartment and fired on Bailey.
Rosales then received fire from two men, another Francis Peak resident and one of Bailey's fellow maintenance workers, Thompson said. Rosales returned to his apartment and died as a result of the gunshot wounds he sustained. Police entered his apartment at about 5:30 p.m.
Thompson would not say how many shots were fired at Rosales, how many times he was hit or whether he returned fire.
Police would not release the names of the two men who fired on Rosales and said they are not in police custody. It will be determined whether charges will be filed in the homicide once the medical examiner's report is complete, Thompson said.
Police are also not specifying whether the two men were carrying the weapons at the time or whether they retrieved them before firing on Rosales, nor would they comment on whether the men were certified to carry a concealed weapon.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Teen in critical condition after slamming...
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 53
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 20
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 19
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 17
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15