KAYSVILLE — A maintenance worker who was shot in an argument Friday remained in critical condition while police investigated the death of the man they say shot him.
Sgt. Paul Thompson of the Kaysville City Police Department said Steve Bailey, 51, remained in "extremely critical condition" after being shot six times. Police would not discuss details of Bailey's injuries.
Bailey is a maintenance worker at the Francis Peak View apartment complex, 600 W. Mutton Hollow Road, where Friday's incident occurred.
Police have identified the shooter as Johnny Rosales, 47, who lived in the complex. An unexplained argument began between Bailey and Rosales at about 2:30 p.m., escalating until Rosales retrieved a handgun from his apartment and fired on Bailey.
Rosales then received fire from two men, another Francis Peak resident and one of Bailey's fellow maintenance workers, Thompson said. Rosales returned to his apartment and died as a result of the gunshot wounds he sustained. Police entered his apartment at about 5:30 p.m.
Thompson would not say how many shots were fired at Rosales, how many times he was hit or whether he returned fire.
Police would not release the names of the two men who fired on Rosales and said they are not in police custody. It will be determined whether charges will be filed in the homicide once the medical examiner's report is complete, Thompson said.
Police are also not specifying whether the two men were carrying the weapons at the time or whether they retrieved them before firing on Rosales, nor would they comment on whether the men were certified to carry a concealed weapon.
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- Warrants issued for 3 suspects in beating...
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod from...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- 'Mantiques' could be a ticket to more cash
- Father vows to keep looking for Susan Cox Powell
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 42
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- S.L. draws up airport plans 30
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 23
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 20
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 19
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 14