"I think it does have some broader impact in the state because it makes clear that the news media can report the positions of parties in heated legal battles and other disputes without fear of incurring defamation liability," he said.
Winder said the ruling was a welcome end to what has been a difficult year. From the death of his mother last September, to the controversial announcement about the Burwash pseudonym to an unsuccessful bid for county mayor, he said this year has been the toughest of his life.
"It's been quite the year," he said. "I feel like we're moving forward and today's court decision is part of that."
He said that he is grateful for West Valley City, its residents and the opportunity he has to serve as its mayor.
"I want people to know I do feel bad for the problems I caused for DDM and others and hope that today is the day we move forward," he said.
Hogan's attorney, Steve Christensen, said his client plans to appeal Stewart's decision to the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals. A notice of appeal was filed Monday.
"Mr. Hogan's contention is that he has stated a claim on various different legal theories, including defamation false light and other issues that have caused him damage and he believes the evidence has supported his claims," Christensen said. "We think that it is a case that needs to be reviewed by the appellate court."
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Micronesia
- Cyclists killed in early morning crash shared...
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough discovery on...
- Why Syracuse mom killed her 2 daughters still...
- Film student, Sterling Scholar winner sees a...
- Utah recognition of same-sex marriage in...
- Second victim found of Murray trucker accused...
- House report: John Swallow hung 'for sale'...
- Utah recognition of same-sex marriage... 57
- Cyclists killed in early morning crash... 34
- House report: John Swallow hung 'for... 32
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 28
- Gov. Herbert: I'm an 'action figure' on... 27
- Local religious leaders urge support... 25
- Hatch, Lee call on federal government... 24
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough... 22