2 St. George residents killed when car goes off cliff
WASHINGTON, Washington County — The names of two St. George residents killed when their car plummeted over a cliff here were released Monday.
Jacqueline K. Mertin, 30, and Robert Kurt Evans 37, died after the car they were riding in went off a 300-foot cliff.
The two victims, along with a third person, were at a popular camping and ATV area on Bureau of Land Management property southeast of the town of Washington prior to the crash. Witnesses said they were with others drinking beer on Friday night, according to police.
Witnesses said when the group left, the trio was driving erratically in a small car without the headlights turned on just prior to the accident. The wreckage was discovered Saturday morning.
The accident was reported by the third victim, a woman, who was disoriented and unsure of their exact location but was able to call 911. She was taken to Dixie Regional Medical Center to be treated for her injuries.
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Draper house explodes into flames (+videos)
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- Missouri hiker found dead in hot Wayne County...
- See what the pioneers thought, felt as they...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 15
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- New solar panels are symbol of the... 11