PROVO, Utah — BYU women’s volleyball jumped in the poll once again, coming in at No. 11 in the AVCA Coaches Poll Monday after taking down former No. 14 Pepperdine.
The ranking is the Cougars’ highest since Sept. 3, 2007, when BYU was ranked No. 9.
BYU defeated Pepperdine 3-0 (25-23, 25-17, 25-22) Thursday in the Cougars’ first match of West Coast Conference play. BYU followed the win with another 3-0 win, this time against Gonzaga. The Saturday win included the Cougars’ best set of the season, when they held Gonzaga to only seven points.
The win was BYU’s eighth sweep in a row and 11th of the season. The team hasn’t lost a set since the match against No. 14 Tennessee on Sept. 1.
At 14-0 on the season, the Cougars have the best record in the top 25. Only two other top-25 teams are undefeated, No. 2 Oregon and No. 5 Washington, and both have a record of 11-0.
Pepperdine is now ranked No. 18 and San Diego, who the Cougars play Oct. 31, is No. 16.
BYU faces San Francisco Thursday at 6:30 p.m. PDT and Saint Mary’s Saturday at noon PDT in the team’s first weekend on the road in conference play.
Rachel Hawks is the women's volleyball sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Miami Beach Bowl live coverage: BYU vs....
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Gordon Hayward happy to be moving on with...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Cougars gain a lot over Final Four weekend...
- Utes capped comeback season with lopsided Las...
- Miami Beach Bowl live coverage: BYU vs.... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 36
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 35
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars... 26