Lift them up.
On July 18, 42 days after the accident, Jamie courageously returned to surgery to have the large portion of her skull replaced. The risky procedure was a success, and when she awoke in the recovery room, she called the doctor over to take his hand and whisper, “Thank you for what you have done. You have saved my life!”
Lift him up.
In the weeks following the second surgery, doctors marveled at the speed of her recovery and her resolve to never say no. “We need you to eat. OK?”
“We need you to talk. Will you?”
“We need you to write. Can you?”
She offered no complaints, no doubts about the future, just a firm belief that if she did everything she could to lift others, God would continue to lift her.
Months have passed, and Jamie Hilton is still finding ways to lift. She speaks to groups of women, girls and anyone who will listen about her love of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. She recognizes that it’s not her miracle that she lives today; it is theirs. And she knows they live, too.
Lift us up.
Today, somewhere in Boise, Jamie’s lovely hair is slowly growing back as she cooks, cleans, drives the family taxi and works to climb a six-figure-high mountain of medical bills. And while she’s very proud to be a former Mrs. Idaho, it’s the other titles that make her truly rejoice: wife and mother.
Jamie’s story began with a fishing trip and three words her husband heard from heaven. But as she continues to repay the favor and lift us all, her story and inspiring example never end.
Who will you lift up today?
To learn more about Jamie, visit her blog at jamielambhilton.blogspot.com.
A link to the family's relief fund can be found at this YouCaring.com page.
Jason F. Wright is a New York Times best-selling author of eight books, including "Christmas Jars," "The Wednesday Letters" and "The Wedding Letters." He can be reached at email@example.com or www.jasonfwright.com.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- LDS Church to break ground next month for...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- Obama signed a new order that protects gay...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 70
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 56
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 51
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 39
- Obama signed a new order that protects... 38
- Obama will sign order barring gay,... 28
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 22
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15