She'll be the first to tell you that studies show that 95 percent of Utah drivers arrested for driving under the influence also drank while underage. And when she said something was "super important," like the role of parents, she meant it. Parents need to know just how vital it is to bond, set clear boundaries and monitor their children, she said.
Brown raised her seven children in the Avenues, where they would have "make-your-own-pizza night" every Monday.
"As the kids sat around and rolled out their pizza dough, we had time to talk about the challenges and successes of life," she said, before imploring others: "Please have dinner with your family. Take time to talk to your kids and set clear goals about not drinking underage to protect their developing brain. … Take time to play and talk and have a fun time together."
Lisa May, whose four children flanked Brown at the dining table, said her family tries to eat together about five times a week. Sometimes, they make breakfast for dinner. But the meal itself is beside the point.
"It's a good time to talk about school and their lives, to spend quality time together," she said. "I just followed the good pattern of my own mom. Then science caught up and I found out it had all these great side benefits."
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of...
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- Warrants issued for 3 suspects in beating...
- Utah State runner Brittany Fisher gaining...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- Former Jazzman Thurl Bailey named ambassador...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 41
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 21
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 12
- Utah facing $1.2 billion-dollar water... 10
- Fly a flag for Cody: Army confirms Utah... 9
- 1,200 gather in Salt Lake, take part in... 8