USU football: Utah State’s Zach Vigil named College Sports Madness WAC Defensive Player of the Week
For the second-straight week, Utah State’s Zach Vigil has garnered national recognition as he was named College Sports Madness’ Western Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Week following his performance in USU’s 31-19 road win at Colorado State this past weekend.
Last week, Vigil was named an honorable mention national Linebacker of the Week by College Football Performance Awards (CFPA) following Utah State’s hard-fought 16-14 loss at No. 22 Wisconsin Saturday.
Vigil, a 6-foot-2, 228 pound sophomore linebacker from Clearfield, Utah (Clearfield HS), had seven tackles (6-solo, 1-assist) to go along with a career-high three tackles for loss and a career-best two sacks against Colorado State this past weekend.
On the season, Vigil ranks tied for third in the WAC and tied for 46th in the nation in sacks (0.75 pg), tied for fourth in the WAC and tied for 47th in the nation in tackles for loss (1.38 pg) and tied for 10th in the WAC in tackles (7.2 pg).
Vigil ranks second on the team in tackles (29), is first in both tackles for loss (5.5) and sacks (3.0), is tied for second in quarterback hurries (2) and has one blocked kick, one forced fumble and one pass breakup on the season.
Utah State (3-1) returns home this week to host future Mountain West Conference foe UNLV (1-3) in its annual Homecoming game on Saturday, Sept. 29, at 6 p.m. With its 3-1 record, USU has its best start to a season since the 1978 team won its first five games of the year.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 49
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26