USU tennis: Aggie Sven Poslusny wins men's tennis singles competition at Weber State Invitational
On the second day at the Weber State Invitational, USU senior men’s tennis player Sven Poslusny dominated in singles play, while the remainder of the Aggies saw action in the consolation brackets.
In singles play, Poslusny started the day in the semifinals where he took down Oliver Good of Weber State (6-1, 6-4). He then advanced to the championship round where he faced off with Todd Fought of Weber State. After three rounds of play, he defeated Fought (6-1, 4-6, 6-4) taking the singles title.
USU had six players participate in the second round consolation brackets. Junior Matt Thatcher was defeated by Aggie freshman Zeno Kastelic (6-2, 6-2), while sophomore Tanner Dance took down teammate junior Andrew Whiting (6-4, 7-6). Kastelic then took down Dance (6-2, 5-3) to win their draw. Sophomore Matt Sweet took down junior Frederik Pedersen and then lost to Jamey Swiggart of Idaho State (7-6, 2-6, 10-4).
The Aggies participated in the doubles consolation bracket where Poslusny and Peterson took third place after eliminating Good and Poitena of Weber State. Sweet and Whiting were taken down by Coello and Stempien of Idaho State (8-2). Brandon Nielsen and Thatcher took third place overall in their consolation bracket after defeating fellow Aggies Wearmouth and Sweet (8-2).
The Aggies are set to play next at the University of Utah on Oct. 11-13.
WEBER STATE INVITATIONAL RESULTS - DAY 2 Group A: Main Draw
Semifinals Sven Poslusny (USU) def. Oliver Good (WSU) 6-1, 6-4
Finals Sven poslusny (USU) def. Todd Fought (ISU) 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
Group A: Consolation Draw 2nd round Loss Bracket Round 1 Matt Sweet (USU) def. Frederik Petersen (USU) Round 2 Jamey Swiggart (ISU) def. Matt Sweet (USU) 7-6, 2-6, 10-4
Group B: Consolation Draw 2nd round Loss Bracket Round 1 Zeno Kastelic (USU) def Matt Thatcher (USU) 6-2, 6-2 Tanner Dance (USU) def. Andrew Whiting (USU) 6-4, 7-6
Round 2 Zeno Kastelic (USU) def. Tanner Dance (USU) 6-2, 5-3
Group A: Doubles Consolation Poslusny/Petersen (USU) def. Good/Poitena (WSU) default Coello/Stempien (ISU) def. Sweet/Whiting (USU) 8-2
Group B: Doubles Consolation Nielsen/Thatcher (USU) def. Wearmouth/Kastelic (USU) 8-2
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Ute fans get first look at basketball team,...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 49
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 40
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 32
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 27