Tom Smart, Deseret News
TEMPE, Ariz. — Arizona State ran roughshod over Utah’s supposed vaunted defense Saturday night and cruised to a 37-7 victory at Sun Devil Stadium.
Behind sophomore quarterback Taylor Kelly, the Sun Devils scored on their first five possessions and built up a comfortable 31-7 halftime lead.
The Utah defense had no answer for the ASU offense, which piled up 512 yards and never turned the ball over.
Kelly shredded the Ute defense, completing 19-of-26 passes for 326 yards and three touchdowns. As it played out, the Sun Devils didn't even have to punt in the first half Saturday.
They struck early with touchdowns on their first three possessions.
The first TD came on a 38-pass from Kelly to Rashad Ross less than five minutes into the game. The second scoring drive took just seven plays to go 59 yards with Cameron Marshall going the final yard with 7:00 left in the first quarter.
Then after a fumble by John White, the Sun Devils needed just four plays to score with Kelly hitting Marion Grice for a 10-yard reception to cap a 34-yard scoring drive.
Kelvin York replaced White and picked up 63 yards on a 91-yard Utah scoring drive that ended with a 2-yard pass from Jon Hays to Karl Williams.
However, the Sun Devils came back with 10 straight points as Alex Garoutte kicked a 22-yard field goal and Kelly hit Marshall with a 13-yard scoring pass.
In the second half, the Utah defense buckled down and held the Sun Devils to a pair of Garoutte field goals from 22 and 43 yards, but the Utah offense could never get rolling.
For the game, Hays completed 10-of-15 passes for 117 yards, while York finished with 86 yards on 13 carries. White, coming off an ankle injury two weeks earlier, could only manage 18 yards on 14 carries and lost two fumbles.
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- 2015 BYU Commits
- 2015 Utah Football Commits
- Dick Harmon: College football recruiters are...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Best in class: Breaking down the recruiting...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 79
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35