Tom Smart, Deseret News
TEMPE, Ariz. — Arizona State ran roughshod over Utah’s supposed vaunted defense Saturday night and cruised to a 37-7 victory at Sun Devil Stadium.
Behind sophomore quarterback Taylor Kelly, the Sun Devils scored on their first five possessions and built up a comfortable 31-7 halftime lead.
The Utah defense had no answer for the ASU offense, which piled up 512 yards and never turned the ball over.
Kelly shredded the Ute defense, completing 19-of-26 passes for 326 yards and three touchdowns. As it played out, the Sun Devils didn't even have to punt in the first half Saturday.
They struck early with touchdowns on their first three possessions.
The first TD came on a 38-pass from Kelly to Rashad Ross less than five minutes into the game. The second scoring drive took just seven plays to go 59 yards with Cameron Marshall going the final yard with 7:00 left in the first quarter.
Then after a fumble by John White, the Sun Devils needed just four plays to score with Kelly hitting Marion Grice for a 10-yard reception to cap a 34-yard scoring drive.
Kelvin York replaced White and picked up 63 yards on a 91-yard Utah scoring drive that ended with a 2-yard pass from Jon Hays to Karl Williams.
However, the Sun Devils came back with 10 straight points as Alex Garoutte kicked a 22-yard field goal and Kelly hit Marshall with a 13-yard scoring pass.
In the second half, the Utah defense buckled down and held the Sun Devils to a pair of Garoutte field goals from 22 and 43 yards, but the Utah offense could never get rolling.
For the game, Hays completed 10-of-15 passes for 117 yards, while York finished with 86 yards on 13 carries. White, coming off an ankle injury two weeks earlier, could only manage 18 yards on 14 carries and lost two fumbles.
- High school boys track: Davis wins another 5A...
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood...
- High school girls track: Davis wins...
- High school football: Orem player responds...
- The offseason status of NFL players with Utah...
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle: Balancing...
- High school baseball: Snow Canyon overcomes...
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 76
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 66
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story... 64
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 62
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 49
- High school football: Riley Nelson... 27
- Utah Utes football: Dr. Chris Hill... 24
- High school recruiting: Jackson Barton,... 20