Utah Utes football: Arizona State races out to a 31-7 halftime lead over Utah
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
TEMPE, Ariz. — In its Pac-12 opener, Utah's defense has had no answer for the Arizona State offense, which couldn’t be stopped in the first half Saturday night as the Sun Devils raced to a 31-7 halftime lead over the Utes at Sun Devil Stadium.
Quarterback Taylor Kelly has shredded the Ute defense to the tune of 259 passing yards and three touchdowns on 13-of-17 completions. The Sun Devils never had to punt in the first half as they scored on five straight possessions before missing a 50-yard field goal with a minute left in the first half.
The Sun Devils struck early with touchdowns on their first three possessions.
The first TD came on a 38-pass from Kelly to Rashad Ross less than five minutes into the game. The second scoring drive took just seven plays to go 59 yards with Cameron Marshall going the final yard with 7:00 left in the first quarter.
Then after a fumble by John White, the Sun Devils needed just four plays to score with Kelly hitting Marion Grice on a 10-yard touchdown to cap a 34-yard scoring drive.
Kelvin York replaced White and picked up 63 yards on a 91-yard Utah scoring drive that ended with a 2-yard pass from Jon Hays to Karl Williams.
However, the Sun Devils came back with 10 straight points as Alex Garoutte kicked a 22-yard field goal and Kelly hit Marshall with a 13-yard scoring pass.
For the half, Arizona State has 347 yards compared to 152 for Utah.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26