USU soccer: Utah State soccer closes out homestand against Wyoming Sunday
Utah State soccer concludes its three-match homestand by taking on Wyoming on Sunday, Sept. 23, at 1 p.m. at Chuck and Gloria Soccer Field. So far on the homestand, the Aggies are 0-1-1 with a tie against No. 23 Washington and a loss to No. 12 BYU.
After a tough, 1-0, loss to No. 12 BYU on Friday, the Aggies look to get back in the win column against the Cowgirls. Wyoming comes into Logan with a 7-3-0 record.
Wyoming holds a 2-3-1 series record against Utah State. The last time the two teams met was in 2009 when the teams battled to a 1-1 double-overtime tie in Logan. In 2008, Utah State earned a 2-1 win in Laramie.
The first meeting between the Cowgirls and the Aggies was in the first season of USU soccer in 1996 when Wyoming won, 2-0, in Laramie. Next season, the teams will both be fellow members of the Mountain West Conference.
This season, Wyoming is 7-3-0 with wins over Eastern Washington, Northern Colorado and Utah Valley. The Aggies are 2-1-0 against those teams with wins over the Eagles and the Wolverines and a loss to the Bears. Just like BYU, the Cowgirls have three players in double digits in points scored, led by 13 points from Sara Paul.
The defensive-minded Aggies have allowed only seven goals and three assists for 17 points in 10 matches this season. Senior goalkeeper Ashlyn Mulford has been stellar in goal for USU, allowing five goals for a goals against average of 0.55. She has three shutouts this season.
Junior midfielder Jennifer Flynn leads the Utah State offense with three goals for six points. Junior forward Mari Miyashiro also has six points off two goals and two assists.
Admission to Chuck and Gloria Bell Soccer Field is free.
For the first time, the Aggies will be streaming all home soccer matches through the USU website. There is a Utah State All-Access Monthly Subscription for $9.95 and a Utah State All-Access Yearly Subscription for $79.95.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Pistorius shown in TV interview ahead of...
- NFL to interview Matthew, Peppers, Harrison...
- Items owned by gangster 'Whitey' Bulger to be...
- World doping watchdog shuts down Rio Olympic...
- AP source: Irving, Barnes finish US Olympic...
- Federer out to turn around frustrating season...
- With 1-0 loss to Colombia, US finishes 4th in...
- Ipsen, Hixon get Olympic 3-meter spots,...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 164
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 71
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 57
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 41
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 35
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 32
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 24
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19