PROVO, Utah – The No. 16 BYU women's volleyball battled Gonzaga at home on Saturday and earned its eighth-straight sweep and 11th of the season (25-17, 25-7, 25-14) to stay undefeated and 2-0 in conference play.
“Last match against Gonzaga here on our floor was a little disappointing for us,” head coach Shawn Olmstead said. “I’m excited and thrilled with the outcome. I think that’s a good team over there and I’m happy with the way we executed our game plan and put a lot of pressure on them throughout the match.”
BYU is 14-0 on the season and 2-0 in conference. Gonzaga falls to 8-7 and 0-2 in conference.
Alexa Gray led the team with 12 kills, while Jennifer Hamson added 11. Heather Hannemann contributed 35 assists, and Kathryn Lecheminant led the team with seven total blocks to tie her season high. Kimberly Dahl also set career highs for solo blocks and block assists in the sweep with two and three, respectively.
In the second set, BYU took a 17-2 lead early. Libero Ciara Parker served 15 points in the process, adding to her 17 digs on the night. In the end, BYU earned the 25-7 victory to hold its second opponent of the season to under ten points, with the last being against George Washington.
With the score tied 6-6 in the third set, Gray added three kills to help BYU gain a five-point lead on the Bulldogs. BYU pushed away from there to claim the sweep with a 25-14 win.
BYU’s defense took control throughout the game, adding 13 blocks to Gonzaga’s two and 29 digs to Gonzaga’s 12.
BYU will continue its undefeated season on the road next week as the team travels to San Fransisco and Saint Mary’s for conference play on Thursday and Saturday, respectively.
Jamie Morris is the softball sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 81
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 66
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 53
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 33
- Phil Steele 2016 Football magazine... 29
- Pac-12 South: Bruins the favorite, but... 22