PROVO, Utah – The No. 16 BYU women's volleyball battled Gonzaga at home on Saturday and earned its eighth-straight sweep and 11th of the season (25-17, 25-7, 25-14) to stay undefeated and 2-0 in conference play.
“Last match against Gonzaga here on our floor was a little disappointing for us,” head coach Shawn Olmstead said. “I’m excited and thrilled with the outcome. I think that’s a good team over there and I’m happy with the way we executed our game plan and put a lot of pressure on them throughout the match.”
BYU is 14-0 on the season and 2-0 in conference. Gonzaga falls to 8-7 and 0-2 in conference.
Alexa Gray led the team with 12 kills, while Jennifer Hamson added 11. Heather Hannemann contributed 35 assists, and Kathryn Lecheminant led the team with seven total blocks to tie her season high. Kimberly Dahl also set career highs for solo blocks and block assists in the sweep with two and three, respectively.
In the second set, BYU took a 17-2 lead early. Libero Ciara Parker served 15 points in the process, adding to her 17 digs on the night. In the end, BYU earned the 25-7 victory to hold its second opponent of the season to under ten points, with the last being against George Washington.
With the score tied 6-6 in the third set, Gray added three kills to help BYU gain a five-point lead on the Bulldogs. BYU pushed away from there to claim the sweep with a 25-14 win.
BYU’s defense took control throughout the game, adding 13 blocks to Gonzaga’s two and 29 digs to Gonzaga’s 12.
BYU will continue its undefeated season on the road next week as the team travels to San Fransisco and Saint Mary’s for conference play on Thursday and Saturday, respectively.
Jamie Morris is the softball sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 58
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on... 28