Violent Bangerter crash claims young man, injures 4 others
WEST VALLEY CITY — Police said they will pursue multiple charges against the driver of a mini-van that was speeding early Saturday and blew through a red light, smashing into a small car and killing one of its passengers.
Francisco Garcia, 18, died after the 6 a.m. three-car collision on the Bangerter Highway overpass at U-201. Two men and two male juveniles suffered a range of injuries — from minor to serious — and were taken to area hospitals for treatment, said West Valley police Sgt. Mike Powell.
Bangerter Highway in that impacted area was closed to traffic as a result of the violent collision, but was expectedx to reopen by 1 p.m.
Police said the mini-van, driven by Carl Holm, 48, was headed north on the highway and failed to stop at the red traffic signal at the overpass at U201. A compact car was traveling south on a green light and was struck by Holm's vehicle, Powell said.
The force of the impact scattered both vehicles in different directions and another small car was struck as well, but Powell said that driver was uninjured.
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Two rescued after falling through ice at...
- Driver in DUI crash that maimed 11-year-old...
- Got an emergency? You can now text 911 in 3...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 28
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Report: Communication breakdowns... 10
- About Utah: Selling bikes the... 7