Violent Bangerter crash claims young man, injures 4 others
WEST VALLEY CITY — Police said they will pursue multiple charges against the driver of a mini-van that was speeding early Saturday and blew through a red light, smashing into a small car and killing one of its passengers.
Francisco Garcia, 18, died after the 6 a.m. three-car collision on the Bangerter Highway overpass at U-201. Two men and two male juveniles suffered a range of injuries — from minor to serious — and were taken to area hospitals for treatment, said West Valley police Sgt. Mike Powell.
Bangerter Highway in that impacted area was closed to traffic as a result of the violent collision, but was expectedx to reopen by 1 p.m.
Police said the mini-van, driven by Carl Holm, 48, was headed north on the highway and failed to stop at the red traffic signal at the overpass at U201. A compact car was traveling south on a green light and was struck by Holm's vehicle, Powell said.
The force of the impact scattered both vehicles in different directions and another small car was struck as well, but Powell said that driver was uninjured.
- 2 deadly Utah County shootings spark...
- 20 years later, parents of missing Spanish...
- Midvale teen ran over mom with car after...
- Audit reveals flawed projections on Utah's...
- Humanitarian Bishnu Adhikari hopeful for...
- Provo police offering reward for information...
- Fire destroys Heber City home, kills animals
- Testimony focuses on relationship between...
- 2 deadly Utah County shootings spark... 94
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 39
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 23
- Poll: Majority of Salt Lake City... 19
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 14
- Jury convicts San Juan County... 13
- Audit reveals flawed projections on... 12
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake... 10