High school football: Rich wins in a shootout against the Altamont Longhorns
Box Score: Rich 41, Altamont 26
When the Rich High football players finally arrived at their homes around 2:30 a.m. Saturday morning it should have helped their tired eyes to know they had posted their fourth win of the season the night before against Altamont. The Rebels defeated the Longhorns 41-26.
The Altamont Longhorns drew within a point in the second quarter when senior running back Kyle Foy punched in from 3 yards out. Groll pushed the score to 14-6 when he turned the corner around the left side of the line and sprinted 60 yards for a touchdown.
The visiting Rebels capitalized on a turnover from the Longhorns for their next score. Junior cornerback Weston intercepted a tipped pass and returned it to the 1-yard line. Kaden Thomson took care of the 1-yard step into the end zone.
The score at halftime had Rich ahead 21-6.
Rich took the opening kickoff of the second half and put together an impressive drive to bump the score to 28-6. It looked like the Rebels might run away with the game, but then Longhorn sophomore Slaton Thompson took the Rebel kickoff 90 yards for a momentum changer and the touchdown.
The Rebel’s next series was a 3-and-out, and Altamont’s Foy quickly went 40 yards around the right side to pull the Longhorns within a score as the third quarter ended.
The home team turned the ball over on downs at midfield, and the Rebels took advantage. A 20-yard pass from Groll to junior receiver McKay Jarman on third down kept the drive alive, which was finished off by an 18-yard score from senior running back Dyson Barker.
But Altamont struck right back. This time it was Foy who took the kickoff for six and pulled his team within a touchdown. Tempers started to flare as the clock continued to tick, and Altamont was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct penalties on back-to-back plays, which set the Rebels up for their final score.
Rich's record moved to 4-1 after its victory. The Rebels will take on Milford on the road next week. Altamont (1-5) will host Monticello.
High school football: Rich at Altamont
Highlights of 1A football game between the Rich High Rebels and Altamont Longhorns on Sept. 21 at Altamont
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Utah Jazz pick up rare road win against Miami...
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in University...
- BYU running back Adam Hine enjoying Miami...
- Jazz center Rudy Gobert gets pushy with...
- Having achieved its Final Four goal, the BYU...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 51
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 48
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 29