USU tennis: Utah State's McKenzie Davis remains in play after second day at BYU Invitational
After the second day of play at the BYU Invitational, Utah State women's tennis has one player left on the main bracket, and one left on the consolation bracket.
Aggie sophomore McKenzie Davis started the day in the quarterfinals of singles play where she defeated Morgan Anderson of BYU (6-4, 6-4). She advanced to the semifinals after a win over Wyoming's Veronica Popovici, who withdrew due to injury. Freshman Amber Stuhlmann fell to Titi Espinosa of Wyoming in the semifinals (6-2, 6-2).
In the consolation bracket all of the USU women advanced to the second round on byes. In the second round of play, freshman Kallie Sperry advanced over senior Jaci West, who withdrew due to injury. She was eliminated in the quarterfinals by Jessica Parizher of Wyoming (6-1, 6-4). USU’s senior Julie Tukuafu defeated Michelle Warwick of Weber State in the second round (6-0, 6-0), and then took down Manuela Pietzuch of Boise State in the quarterfinals (5-7, 6-4, 10-6).
Each USU duo advanced through the first and second rounds of the consolation bracket on byes. Sperry and Voytsekhovich took down Karlsen and Tanner of Weber state in the quarterfinals (8-2). Amber Stuhlmann and Tukuafu fell to Bryant-Swift and Pietzuch of Boise State in the quarterfinals (8-1). Hayes and Ashley Stuhlmann were defeated in the quarterfinals by Vosburgh of Boise State and Waldron of BYU (8-1).
Davis will play in the finals of the main draw tomorrow against Simona Synkova of Wyoming. Tukuafu will face off with Parizher of Wyoming in the semifinals of the consolation bracket.
BYU INVITATIONAL RESULTS - DAY 2
Blue Draw Singles
McKenzie Davis (USU) def. Morgan Anderson (BYU) 6-4,6-4
McKenzie Davis (USU) def. Veronica Popovici (WYO) wd inj.
White Draw Singles
Titi Espinosa (WYO) def. Amber Stuhlmann (USU)
Blue Draw Consolation
Jaci West (USU), BYE
Kallie Sperry (USU) def. Jaci West (USU) wd inj.
Julie Tukuafu (USU) def. Michelle Warwick (WSU) 6-0, 6-0
Jessica Parizher (WYO) def. Kallie Sperry (USU) 6-1,6-4
Julie Tukuafu (USU) def. Manuela Pietzuch (BSU) 5-7, 6-4, 10-6
White Draw Consolation
Hillary Hayes (USU), BYE
Ashley Stuhlmann (USU) def. Hillary Hayes (USU) 6-1, 2-1 Ref (inj)
Semifinals Annika Karlsen (WSU) def. Ashley Stuhlmann (USU) 6-0, 6-1
Elmer/Kurer (WSU) def. Davis/West (USU) wd inj.
Sperry/Voytsekhovich (USU), BYE
stuhlmann/Tukuafu (USU), BYE
Hayes/Stuhlmann (USU), BYE
Sperry/Voytsekhovich (USU) def. Karlsen/Tanner (WSU) 8-2
Bryant-Swift/Pietzuch (BSU) def. Stuhlmann/Tukuafu (USU) 8-1
Vosburgh/Waldron (BSU/BYU) def. Hayes/Stuhlmann (USU) 8-1
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Morning links: BYU letting fans tailgate;...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still dismissed...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham...
- Doug Robinson: Weber State track coach isn't...
- ESPN highlights BYU basketball's roster...
- Pac-12 notebook: Whittingham clarifies...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 99
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 74
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 41
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32