KIRKLAND, Wash. – The 20th-ranked Westminster College women's soccer team continued its torrid start to the season with a 2-0 win over Northwest (Wash.) on Friday afternoon.
Westminster is now 8-1 on the season and has won four-straight games. The loss drops Northwest to 1-7-1 on the year.
The Griffins took the lead early in the second half on an own goal by the Eagles. Margo Hickman drove a 25-yarder to the NU goal mouth and it was inadvertently headed in on an attempt to clear the ball in the 49th minute.
Westminster would seal the win in the 87th minute on a corner kick by Jaime Nelson. The senior fired a corner kick to the front of the net where it went through the NU keeper's hands and into the goal. It was the third goal of the season for Nelson.
Northwest controlled much of the possession early and held a 9-3 edge in shots at halftime. The Eagles' Jordyn Wilson just missed a goal in the 30th minute as her 4-yard shot from the right side was saved by Westminster's goalkeeper, Dayna Winter-Nolte. The Griffins would outshoot the Eagles 11-8 in the second half but finished with a 17-14 deficit in total shots. Westminster put nine of its attempts on frame to just four on target by NU.
Nelson led the Griffins with four shots attempts and three on goal. Hickman managed three shots with two on frame and Justine Jones put both of her shots on the keeper. Winter-Nolte earned her fourth win and second shutout with four saves.
Westminster will look for a fifth-straight win on Saturday when it faces Evergreen. The game is slated for a noon kick in Seattle.
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 30