PROVO, Utah –Junior Desiree Tran and sophomore Meghan Sheehan-Dizon earned their way to the doubles finals at the women’s tennis BYU Invitational on Friday at the Outdoor Tennis Courts.
"The team fought hard today," head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. "Desiree [Tran] played with a lot of heart in her matches today, I'm very proud of her."
Tran and Sheehan-Dizon beat two doubles teams Friday to advance to the finals. In the morning, they played a long match against Wyoming’s Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova, 8-5. Later in the afternoon, the BYU duo cruised past Weber State’s team of Kristi Elmer and Thais Kurer, 8-1.
The other Cougars to play doubles Friday, freshman Mackenna Maddox and senior Andie Young, were defeated by Wyoming’s Veronica Popovici and Simona Synkova, 8-0.
BYU had five singles players still alive in the singles division Friday morning, but all were knocked out by the end of the day. Tran won her first match against Alexandra Kovacs from Wyoming, 6-0, 4-6, 6-2, to advance to the next round. In the semifinals, she lost in three sets to Synkova, 3-6, 6-2, 7-5.
In the quarterfinals, senior Aubrey Paul fell to Popovici, 6-4, 6-2. Sheehan-Dizon put up a fight against Synkova but couldn’t pull out the victory as she lost, 6-4, 7-5.
Sophomore Morgan Anderson was defeated by Mackenzie Davis from Utah State, 6-4, 6-4. Young was stopped by Wyoming’s Christa Gecheva, 6-2, 6-0.
The final doubles match starts at 9 a.m. on Saturday. The singles finals begins at 1 p.m.
Admission is free and open to the public. The tournament can be followed by visiting the USTA's website.
Aaron Sorenson is the sports information director at BYU.
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 147
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 67
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 48
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 48
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 28
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27