PROVO, Utah –Junior Desiree Tran and sophomore Meghan Sheehan-Dizon earned their way to the doubles finals at the women’s tennis BYU Invitational on Friday at the Outdoor Tennis Courts.
"The team fought hard today," head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. "Desiree [Tran] played with a lot of heart in her matches today, I'm very proud of her."
Tran and Sheehan-Dizon beat two doubles teams Friday to advance to the finals. In the morning, they played a long match against Wyoming’s Jessica Parizher and Silviya Zhelyazkova, 8-5. Later in the afternoon, the BYU duo cruised past Weber State’s team of Kristi Elmer and Thais Kurer, 8-1.
The other Cougars to play doubles Friday, freshman Mackenna Maddox and senior Andie Young, were defeated by Wyoming’s Veronica Popovici and Simona Synkova, 8-0.
BYU had five singles players still alive in the singles division Friday morning, but all were knocked out by the end of the day. Tran won her first match against Alexandra Kovacs from Wyoming, 6-0, 4-6, 6-2, to advance to the next round. In the semifinals, she lost in three sets to Synkova, 3-6, 6-2, 7-5.
In the quarterfinals, senior Aubrey Paul fell to Popovici, 6-4, 6-2. Sheehan-Dizon put up a fight against Synkova but couldn’t pull out the victory as she lost, 6-4, 7-5.
Sophomore Morgan Anderson was defeated by Mackenzie Davis from Utah State, 6-4, 6-4. Young was stopped by Wyoming’s Christa Gecheva, 6-2, 6-0.
The final doubles match starts at 9 a.m. on Saturday. The singles finals begins at 1 p.m.
Admission is free and open to the public. The tournament can be followed by visiting the USTA's website.
Aaron Sorenson is the sports information director at BYU.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 137
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 30
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 17
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15