MOSCOW, Idaho -- A goal conceded in the 65th minute was the difference as the Utah Valley University women's soccer team fell to Idaho, 1-0, Friday afternoon at Guy Wicks Field.
Regan Benson led UVU (1-7-1) with four shots on the day, two of which challenged the Idaho (3-8-0) keeper. Four more Wolverines tallied multiple shots while defenders Lexi Dunn and Nicole Slater played all 90 minutes for head coach Brent Anderson.
The match was stalemated at 0-0 for over an hour with UVU appearing to hold the upper hand early on, outshooting the Vandals 10-7 at the halftime break. But it was Idaho that broke through for the decisive goal when Erica Hart got free in the final third and scored at 64:15. The Vandals would hold for the final 25 minutes of regulation to snap their six-game losing streak.
Wolverine goalkeeper Lauren Sack had five saves to match the total of Liz Boyden, her Idaho counterpart.
With the exception of a draw at Southern Utah on Sept. 8, each of UVU's matches this season have been decided by a single-goal margin.
UVU continues west into Washington for a Sunday meeting with Seattle University. That match will kick off at 1 p.m. MT at Seattle U's Championship Field. The Redhawks face No. 15 Portland Friday night before welcoming the Wolverines on Sunday. UVU is 0-3-0 all-time against Seattle U.
"We'll regroup and be ready to play Seattle U on Sunday," Anderson said. "They're a very good team, particularly at home. We've played them up there a couple times and it's always a challenge. But I did feel like we had some good moments on the attack today, so we'll look at that and try to build on that heading into Sunday."
Kellen Hiser is sports information assistant at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 63
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 33
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28