Book review: 'Code Word' is a whimiscal yet entertaning novel
"CODE WORD," by Traci Hunter Abramson, Covenant Communications, $16.99, 247 pages (f)
“Code Word” by Taci Hunter Abramson is an action-packed novel that will be satisfying to younger readers. Though the love story is over the top, the storyline is still interesting and engaging.
Jay Wellman is a Navy Seal that has participated in several dangerous missions. His most recent mission has disturbed and unsettled him. He turns to his Mormon teammates for support and learns more about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the process.
While Jay is in Florida visiting his parents, he meets Carina Channing, a distant yet beautiful young woman. He later learns that Carina and her sisters have a troubled past and are trying to run away from it.
Eventually Jay discovers that Carina’s family members are all part of the Chicago mafia and are trying to kidnap the sisters. Jay tries to use his Navy training to protect the sisters and get them to safety.
In the meantime, Jay and Carina establish a romantic relationship. They both try to help the other person overcome traumatic events they have recently experienced. When Jay learns that Carina is a member of the LDS Church, he decides there must be something valuable about the religion after all.
“Code Word” is an unrealistic and somewhat whimsical book. Nonetheless, Abramson keeps the reader engaged until the very end.
The sappy love story — the protector rescuing the maiden in distress — is nothing new. The reader knows how the love story will end by simply reading the back of the book.
“Code Word” has its strengths, however. The characters are likable. The dialogue in the book helps advance the storyline and keeps readers engaged.
The military aspect of the story is unique. Abramson ties in events like 9/11 and Osama Bin Laden's death into the book.
Abramson is a graduate of Brigham Young University and a former employee of the CIA. She is the author of “Royal Target” and “Obsession.”
Shelby Scoffield has a Bachelors in English from Brigham Young University and a Masters in rhetoric and composition from Stanislaus State University. She is currently working on her teaching credentials so she can teach high school English.
- New Mormon Message video highlights how much...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- No more excuses: Mormon dad designs home...
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the Nephites
- New DVD tells story of David Archuleta's...
- Church leaders can learn from NFL domestic...
- Mormon neighbors help Catholic nuns with...
- Two apostles visit Northern South America,...
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the... 51
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 49
- New DVD tells story of David... 12
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of... 9
- New Mormon Message video highlights how... 9
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- 5 unusual places of worship 5
- 10 religious leaders you may not know... 5