My good friend’s girlfriend doesn’t want him hanging out with me because she’s jealous. So he doesn’t. What kind of friend is that? Should I just cut ties with him?
— Kind of Hurt
Dear Kind of Hurt,
This is exactly why having and keeping MBFFs (Male Best Friends Forever) is almost impossible. Their JGFs (Jealous Girlfriends) always get weird.
Technically, I should ask for more information. Like, do you have any romantic feelings for this guy? Does he have any romantic feelings for you? What is your relationship history with him? Does she have a reason to be jealous? Of what exactly is she jealous?
But if he's already decided not to see you, then your energy is better spent on improving your current relationships and developing new ones. He can worry about explaining or not explaining how he feels about you to the JGF.
As far as "cutting ties" goes, that course of action can have such finality to it and feel really unnatural. You may also start to feel bitter and angry — which feelings will only harm yourself. So don't cut ties, just shift your focus. But remember how this feels, so in the future if you're in the same situation, be the one who values the friendship enough to make it work even though your circumstances have changed.
Reader questions: Is it possible for girls and guys to be close friends when one of them is in a relationship? If so, how is that accomplished?
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- LDS growth in India draws media attention
- Space and religion: How believers view latest...
- Genealogy: A journal has many uses
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 39
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 38
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 26
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 25
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 21
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 17
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood'... 16
- Space and religion: How believers view... 11