Ask Angela: When a woman's male best friend has a girlfriend
My good friend’s girlfriend doesn’t want him hanging out with me because she’s jealous. So he doesn’t. What kind of friend is that? Should I just cut ties with him?
— Kind of Hurt
Dear Kind of Hurt,
This is exactly why having and keeping MBFFs (Male Best Friends Forever) is almost impossible. Their JGFs (Jealous Girlfriends) always get weird.
Technically, I should ask for more information. Like, do you have any romantic feelings for this guy? Does he have any romantic feelings for you? What is your relationship history with him? Does she have a reason to be jealous? Of what exactly is she jealous?
But if he's already decided not to see you, then your energy is better spent on improving your current relationships and developing new ones. He can worry about explaining or not explaining how he feels about you to the JGF.
As far as "cutting ties" goes, that course of action can have such finality to it and feel really unnatural. You may also start to feel bitter and angry — which feelings will only harm yourself. So don't cut ties, just shift your focus. But remember how this feels, so in the future if you're in the same situation, be the one who values the friendship enough to make it work even though your circumstances have changed.
Reader questions: Is it possible for girls and guys to be close friends when one of them is in a relationship? If so, how is that accomplished?
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- General Women's Session focuses on family, home
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- 'Killing Jesus' takes up middle ground on...
- 185th Annual General Conference talk...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- President Henry B. Eyring: 'The Comforter'
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 166
- Why I don’t call myself a... 93
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 63
- General Women's Session focuses on... 18
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore... 17
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 17
- State bills to protect religious... 12
- Returning LDS missionary, father... 8