SANDY — An off-duty Sandy police officer was killed early Friday when his motorcycle crashed into a freeway construction vehicle.
Remington Barron, 28, of Spanish Fork, was traveling south on I-15 on a Harley-Davidson in a construction zone near Springville, when a Provo River Construction vehicle allegedly pulled out in front him, according to a statement from the Utah Highway Patrol.
The driver of the construction truck, a 38-year-old man from Lehi, was working when he attempted to cross the freeway from the east side area that was closed off to traffic to the west side of the freeway closed off to traffic.
"The driver of the pickup did not see the motorcycle," the Utah Highway Patrol said in a statement.
Barron collided with the truck. He was wearing a helmet but was taken to a local hospital with head trauma. Barron died about 8 a.m., the UHP stated.
Sandy police said Barron was on his way home from work when he was hit. He had been with the department for two years. Barron is survived by his wife and two children.
- Prison inmates start hunger strike, demand...
- One year later: Slow movement on slide repairs
- Stolen Dodge Charger no match for Hurricane...
- What went right: How one Orem family turned...
- Salt Lake County cities, school districts...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Teen girl killed in Millard County crash
- Herriman man says his brain tumor felt like a...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 48
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay... 37
- Prison inmates start hunger strike,... 33
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 16
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after... 12
- Salt Lake police looking for horses,... 10
- Survey: Utah residents want crops, not... 10
- National report shows high overall... 9