SANDY — An off-duty Sandy police officer was killed early Friday when his motorcycle crashed into a freeway construction vehicle.
Remington Barron, 28, of Spanish Fork, was traveling south on I-15 on a Harley-Davidson in a construction zone near Springville, when a Provo River Construction vehicle allegedly pulled out in front him, according to a statement from the Utah Highway Patrol.
The driver of the construction truck, a 38-year-old man from Lehi, was working when he attempted to cross the freeway from the east side area that was closed off to traffic to the west side of the freeway closed off to traffic.
"The driver of the pickup did not see the motorcycle," the Utah Highway Patrol said in a statement.
Barron collided with the truck. He was wearing a helmet but was taken to a local hospital with head trauma. Barron died about 8 a.m., the UHP stated.
Sandy police said Barron was on his way home from work when he was hit. He had been with the department for two years. Barron is survived by his wife and two children.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- West Nile activity discovered in three Utah...
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at Utah...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 78
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14
- Union Pacific train makes special... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12