Woman charged with obstructing investigation into teen's killing
SALT LAKE CITY — Charges were filed Thursday against a woman who police say gave false information about the death of 16-year-old Kenyatta Winston.
Shelby Reed, 19, was charged with obstruction of justice after allegedly giving two different accounts to police concerning her knowledge of the killing.
Winston had been shot and his body was left in an empty lot in Sugar House on Aug. 29. Several individuals have been interviewed and arrested in connection with the homicide.
Reed was interviewed by police on Aug. 29 and told officers she had no knowledge of the circumstances surrounding Winston's death, according to charges filed in 3rd District Court.
Police interviewed Reed a second time on Sept. 13. On that day, Reed said she had gone to the site where Winston's body had been dumped and had helped clean up a hotel room to eliminate evidence, the charges state. Prosecutors say suspects in the case had spent time at the hotel room prior to Winston's death.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- We were there: See Deseret News front pages...
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Love not attending Salt Lake City Rotary Club...
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Friend says wrong-way driver 'wasn't in his...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 79
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 58
- Federal government extends same-sex... 37
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12