PROVO, Utah – The No. 16 BYU women’s volleyball team continued its unbeaten streak as it defeated the No. 14 Pepperdine Waves in three sets (25-23, 25-17, 25-22) on Thursday at the Smith Fieldhouse. The last time BYU beat a top-15 ranked opponent in Provo was in 2007 when the Cougars faced No. 10 Wisconsin.
“I think we played a pretty balanced match,” head coach Shawn Olmstead said. “There were times when we gave up a little lead which was unfortunate, but the ability to come back from that and show some heart and some gut, I like that. It was exciting to start conference play that way, it was a good start for us.”
Junior Jennifer Hamson recorded 16 kills and three blocks to lead the Cougars, and outside hitter Alexa Gray added 13 kills. Senior Heather Hannemann contributed to the victory with 43 assists.
Pepperdine was led by Jazmine Orozco, last week’s West Coast Conference Player of the Week, with 10 kills and 10 digs.
The Cougars came out on top of the first set, 25-23, after an evenly fought set. BYU led for most of the set, but Pepperdine tied the score 14 times to keep the competition close. Sophomore Kathryn LeCheminant led both teams with six kills.
After trailing, 15-11, BYU rallied to score nine unanswered points, which lead to the second set victory, 25-17. Hamson, who is ranked No. 20 in NCAA Division I volleyball for points per set, tallied 11 kills and two blocks after just two sets of play.
The third set featured three lead changes and two Pepperdine 4-0 runs, but BYU sealed the sweep, 25-22.
BYU hosts Gonzaga Saturday at 1 p.m. at the Smith Fieldhouse.
Aaron Sorenson is a sports information director at BYU.
- NBC to unveil new theme song for 'Sunday...
- From Ben Simmons down, international players...
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 63
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Jakob Poeltl to the Utah Jazz? It's... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- Morning links: Warriors feel Andrew... 22