BYU tennis: six Cougars advance after day one of BYU Invitational
PROVO, Utah - Six Cougars advanced to the quarterfinals after day one of the BYU Invitational at the Outdoor Tennis Courts Thursday.
“It’s always tough your first match of the year, but I thought they girls played well,” head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “I’m excited to see how they do moving forward.”
The BYU duo of Meghan Sheehan-Dizon and Desiree Tranquickly defeated Weber State’s Annika Karlsen and Ashley Tanner, 8-2. Freshman Mackenna Maddox and senior Andie Young topped teammate Lisa Waldron and Boise State’s Teal Vosburgh, 8-4.
BYU’s last doubles team of Morgan Anderson and Aubrey Paul fell to Kristi Elmer and Thais Kurer from Weber State, 8-4.
In singles play, five Cougars advanced to the quarterfinals. In the first round, Paul topped Wyoming’s Silviya Zhelyazkova, 6-4, 6-6, 7-5. Maddox also won her first match of the day against Kurer, 6-0, 6-1, but lost her second match, 6-4, 6-3, to Simona Synkova from Wyoming.
In the second round, Sheehan-Dizon defeated Kristina Voytsekhovich from Utah State, 6-2, 6-1. Paul’s match was the last to finish as she came out on top over Weber State’s Ashley Tanner, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1.
Sophomore Morgan Anderson overcame a close first game to beat her Utah State opponent, Kallie Sperry, 7-5, 6-1. Young also came out of her singles match victorious, 6-2, 7-5, against Annika Karlsen from Weber State.
In the longest game of the tournament up to this point, Tran narrowly defeated Vosburgh, 6-7(3-7), 6-1, 6-4.
Waldron had a bye for the first two rounds then fell to Wyoming’s Titi Espinosa, 6-1, 6-1.
The second day of the tournament begins with doubles at 9 a.m. Friday. Singles play starts at noon.
Admission is free and open to the public. The tournament can be followed by visiting the USTA's website.
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 30
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 29
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24