BYU tennis: six Cougars advance after day one of BYU Invitational
PROVO, Utah - Six Cougars advanced to the quarterfinals after day one of the BYU Invitational at the Outdoor Tennis Courts Thursday.
“It’s always tough your first match of the year, but I thought they girls played well,” head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “I’m excited to see how they do moving forward.”
The BYU duo of Meghan Sheehan-Dizon and Desiree Tranquickly defeated Weber State’s Annika Karlsen and Ashley Tanner, 8-2. Freshman Mackenna Maddox and senior Andie Young topped teammate Lisa Waldron and Boise State’s Teal Vosburgh, 8-4.
BYU’s last doubles team of Morgan Anderson and Aubrey Paul fell to Kristi Elmer and Thais Kurer from Weber State, 8-4.
In singles play, five Cougars advanced to the quarterfinals. In the first round, Paul topped Wyoming’s Silviya Zhelyazkova, 6-4, 6-6, 7-5. Maddox also won her first match of the day against Kurer, 6-0, 6-1, but lost her second match, 6-4, 6-3, to Simona Synkova from Wyoming.
In the second round, Sheehan-Dizon defeated Kristina Voytsekhovich from Utah State, 6-2, 6-1. Paul’s match was the last to finish as she came out on top over Weber State’s Ashley Tanner, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1.
Sophomore Morgan Anderson overcame a close first game to beat her Utah State opponent, Kallie Sperry, 7-5, 6-1. Young also came out of her singles match victorious, 6-2, 7-5, against Annika Karlsen from Weber State.
In the longest game of the tournament up to this point, Tran narrowly defeated Vosburgh, 6-7(3-7), 6-1, 6-4.
Waldron had a bye for the first two rounds then fell to Wyoming’s Titi Espinosa, 6-1, 6-1.
The second day of the tournament begins with doubles at 9 a.m. Friday. Singles play starts at noon.
Admission is free and open to the public. The tournament can be followed by visiting the USTA's website.
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 23
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 13