SALT LAKE CITY — Republican Sen. Orrin Hatch and Democrat Scott Howell will debate twice before the November election, though the challenger says that's not enough.
The first debate will be streamed live on the Vote Utah website at 10 a.m. Oct. 17 and simulcast at 9 that night on KBYU, KUED and KUEN. The second debate is scheduled for KSL Radio's Doug Wright Show at 9 a.m. Oct. 26.
"I look forward to discussing the issues that matter most to voters in the state of Utah with my opponent," Hatch said.
Howell campaign manager Emily Hollingshead said Howell is pushing for the KSL Radio debate to be televised as well. Hatch campaign manager Dave Hansen said Hatch has agreed to radio only.
Howell accepted an invitation to debate at Southern Utah University on Tuesday. Hatch won't be there but will send a representative. Howell also plans to attend an Oct. 30 event at the University of Utah. Hansen said he hasn't seen an invitation for that event, and it's not on the senator's schedule.
In July, Howell called on Hatch to debate in each of Utah's 29 counties but said he doubted Hatch had the stamina for that. Last week, he said it was "cowardly" of Hatch to not agree to debates.
The Howell campaign has offered to go with a town hall meeting format if Hatch doesn't want one-on-one debates.
"If he wants another six years as senator, he should tell people face to face why he thinks they should re-elect him," Howell said.
Hansen said there are many ways to communicate with voters, and debates are just one of them.
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Mia Love announces she's officially running...
- LDS missionary 'stable' following hit-and-run...
- A firsthand perspective: Reflecting on the...
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at least...
- Fly a flag for Cody: Army confirms Utah man...
- GOP delegates reject changes to nominating...
- Hundreds of volunteers tackle service...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 64
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at... 45
- Police say driver who hit 3 children... 27
- Angry Orrin Hatch: IRS guilty of... 19
- Utah GOP convention agenda includes... 19
- Attorney General John Swallow says he's... 16
- Mormon missionary age announcement... 15
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 14