SALT LAKE CITY — Republican Sen. Orrin Hatch and Democrat Scott Howell will debate twice before the November election, though the challenger says that's not enough.
The first debate will be streamed live on the Vote Utah website at 10 a.m. Oct. 17 and simulcast at 9 that night on KBYU, KUED and KUEN. The second debate is scheduled for KSL Radio's Doug Wright Show at 9 a.m. Oct. 26.
"I look forward to discussing the issues that matter most to voters in the state of Utah with my opponent," Hatch said.
Howell campaign manager Emily Hollingshead said Howell is pushing for the KSL Radio debate to be televised as well. Hatch campaign manager Dave Hansen said Hatch has agreed to radio only.
Howell accepted an invitation to debate at Southern Utah University on Tuesday. Hatch won't be there but will send a representative. Howell also plans to attend an Oct. 30 event at the University of Utah. Hansen said he hasn't seen an invitation for that event, and it's not on the senator's schedule.
In July, Howell called on Hatch to debate in each of Utah's 29 counties but said he doubted Hatch had the stamina for that. Last week, he said it was "cowardly" of Hatch to not agree to debates.
The Howell campaign has offered to go with a town hall meeting format if Hatch doesn't want one-on-one debates.
"If he wants another six years as senator, he should tell people face to face why he thinks they should re-elect him," Howell said.
Hansen said there are many ways to communicate with voters, and debates are just one of them.
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy don't...
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support to...
- Several national parks vandalized, including...
- National Guard, DPS weigh possible...
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million mark,...
- 3 'scary' medical problems for kids
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 117
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 97
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 61
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support... 44
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 33
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 19
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 17
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS... 16