2 Taylorsville homes heavily damaged in 2-alarm fire
TAYLORSVILLE — Two homes suffered heavy damage in a two-alarm fire Thursday.
"We had two house fires going on at once," said Unified Fire Capt. Cliff Burningham.
The fires were about 20 feet apart from each other at 3785 W. Dimrall Drive (5585 South) and the neighboring house. A man had been working in the two-car garage of the first home cutting laminated glass for a cabinet he was making. Part of the process involved using rubbing alcohol and a low flame, Burningham said.
After the man was done, he went inside the house. About 30 minutes later, just after 2 p.m., a fire broke out in the garage. Because of several fuels in the garage, the fire burned very hot, Burningham said.
"When the chief showed up, he could feel the heat from fire though the window on his vehicle," he said.
The fire quickly extended through the roof of the garage and spread to the attached house. Responding firefighters could see a column of black smoke rising from the home before they got there, prompting a second alarm to be called. The heat from the fire also started the neighboring house on fire, Burningham said. A third neighboring home was evacuated as a precaution.
It took firefighters about 30 minutes to bring the blaze under control.
The house where the fire began suffered major damage to the garage, living area and kitchen and burned through the attic, Burningham said. The fire also burned through the majority of the attic in the second house, which forced crews to pull down a lot of sheet rock, he said. A wood fence between the two homes also burned.
Five adults who lived in the first house and one adult who lived in the second will all be temporarily displaced because of the damage to their homes. The Red Cross was on scene Thursday helping the displaced residents.
No injuries were reported.
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Shots fired after fight at high school in...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- Utah's expanding Hispanic business at center...
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 166
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 86
- Bingham High students walk out over... 78
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Poll: Utahns in favor of school... 25
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 19
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 18