TAYLORSVILLE — Two homes suffered heavy damage in a two-alarm fire Thursday.
"We had two house fires going on at once," said Unified Fire Capt. Cliff Burningham.
The fires were about 20 feet apart from each other at 3785 W. Dimrall Drive (5585 South) and the neighboring house. A man had been working in the two-car garage of the first home cutting laminated glass for a cabinet he was making. Part of the process involved using rubbing alcohol and a low flame, Burningham said.
After the man was done, he went inside the house. About 30 minutes later, just after 2 p.m., a fire broke out in the garage. Because of several fuels in the garage, the fire burned very hot, Burningham said.
"When the chief showed up, he could feel the heat from fire though the window on his vehicle," he said.
The fire quickly extended through the roof of the garage and spread to the attached house. Responding firefighters could see a column of black smoke rising from the home before they got there, prompting a second alarm to be called. The heat from the fire also started the neighboring house on fire, Burningham said. A third neighboring home was evacuated as a precaution.
It took firefighters about 30 minutes to bring the blaze under control.
The house where the fire began suffered major damage to the garage, living area and kitchen and burned through the attic, Burningham said. The fire also burned through the majority of the attic in the second house, which forced crews to pull down a lot of sheet rock, he said. A wood fence between the two homes also burned.
Five adults who lived in the first house and one adult who lived in the second will all be temporarily displaced because of the damage to their homes. The Red Cross was on scene Thursday helping the displaced residents.
No injuries were reported.
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- LDS missionary 'stable' following hit-and-run...
- A firsthand perspective: Reflecting on the...
- Members recall Sister Monson's quiet devotion
- Psychologist calls doctor accused of killing...
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at least...
- Utah facing $1.2 billion-dollar water...
- LDS missionary from Sweden suffers aneurysm,...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 62
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at... 45
- Police say driver who hit 3 children... 27
- Angry Orrin Hatch: IRS guilty of... 19
- Utah GOP convention agenda includes... 19
- Attorney General John Swallow says he's... 16
- Mormon missionary age announcement... 14
- Angelina Jolie announcement leads to... 12