2 Taylorsville homes heavily damaged in 2-alarm fire
TAYLORSVILLE — Two homes suffered heavy damage in a two-alarm fire Thursday.
"We had two house fires going on at once," said Unified Fire Capt. Cliff Burningham.
The fires were about 20 feet apart from each other at 3785 W. Dimrall Drive (5585 South) and the neighboring house. A man had been working in the two-car garage of the first home cutting laminated glass for a cabinet he was making. Part of the process involved using rubbing alcohol and a low flame, Burningham said.
After the man was done, he went inside the house. About 30 minutes later, just after 2 p.m., a fire broke out in the garage. Because of several fuels in the garage, the fire burned very hot, Burningham said.
"When the chief showed up, he could feel the heat from fire though the window on his vehicle," he said.
The fire quickly extended through the roof of the garage and spread to the attached house. Responding firefighters could see a column of black smoke rising from the home before they got there, prompting a second alarm to be called. The heat from the fire also started the neighboring house on fire, Burningham said. A third neighboring home was evacuated as a precaution.
It took firefighters about 30 minutes to bring the blaze under control.
The house where the fire began suffered major damage to the garage, living area and kitchen and burned through the attic, Burningham said. The fire also burned through the majority of the attic in the second house, which forced crews to pull down a lot of sheet rock, he said. A wood fence between the two homes also burned.
Five adults who lived in the first house and one adult who lived in the second will all be temporarily displaced because of the damage to their homes. The Red Cross was on scene Thursday helping the displaced residents.
No injuries were reported.
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- Primary Children's Hospital chaplains laugh,...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 71
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18